IXL Insights – Audio Feature

October 18, 2012

IXL Insights

Have you heard?  IXL has audio!

Are you a teacher or parent of young learners?  Even though IXL is continually expanding into more advanced math topics, we haven’t forgotten about our youngest scholars.  In fact, we’ve created a feature just for them!  IXL’s helpful audio component is perfect for young users who are still developing their reading skills.

For all pre-kindergarten through first grade skills, students can click the orange speaker icon to hear the question read aloud.  If they get a question wrong, they can click the same icon to hear the correct answer.  This enables greater independence for students during practice time, while freeing you up to help other students or children.  Just don’t go far—they’ll be anxious to show you just how much they’ve accomplished on their own!

Hannah spencer October 18, 2012 at 2:02 pm

wow this is fantastic… please keep us updated on the new stuff!!!!!!!!!

Nour October 19, 2012 at 1:00 am

It’s amazing

Nour October 19, 2012 at 1:05 am

I’am exciting to try it with my daughter who is have 4 years old

xavier October 21, 2012 at 2:52 pm

I relly like ixl becuase it helps me with my educatoin and my math skills.

josh October 24, 2012 at 7:08 pm

Definitely good for my son, but I wish the button was bigger. It is very difficult for little ones to click with a mouse. We use tablets for Ixl and find it even harder there. It also takes several seconds to play the sound. Wish it would queue the audio when the new page loads.

The IXL Blog October 29, 2012 at 2:06 pm

Hi, Josh. Thanks for your feedback! We’ll certainly take it into consideration.
If you are experiencing issues with playing the audio, please contact our Technical Support team at help@ixl.com.

gabby November 4, 2012 at 1:12 pm

This really helps w/ math my teach is very happy w/ moi

Colleen March 3, 2016 at 3:29 pm

This is a great feature but it would be nice if it were available for the higher levels so that students with reading disabilities could better access the material.

The IXL Team March 4, 2016 at 9:39 am

Hi Colleen, thanks so much for your feedback! Since this blog post was written, we have added audio for math in grades 2–5 as well! Simply select “Profile and settings” from the drop-down menu in the upper right corner and check the “Enable audio for upper grade levels” box.

Sarah Garby October 11, 2016 at 1:35 pm

I teach students with multiple disabilities and I am looking for a way to play the audio for them even in Science and Social Studies subjects. Please tell me that there is a way!!!

The IXL Team October 11, 2016 at 3:12 pm

Hi Sarah–We currently only have audio for pre-K through 1st grade ELA and pre-K through 5th grade math. But we’ll be sure to pass along your request to our development team!