IXL for Families

October 30, 2012

At Home

Parents, did you know IXL isn’t just for schools?  You and your children can also take advantage of it at home.  We offer monthly and yearly memberships just for families!

Here are some reasons we’ve heard from parents about why they love having IXL at home:

• Have fun—no, really! One of our favorite user stories is from a parent in Minnesota, whose 4-year-old son asked, “Daddy—If I eat all my vegetables, can I study math?”  IXL is so full of colorful images and exciting prizes that kids really feel like they’re playing a game, even as they’re learning math concepts.  Children’s willingness to practice math on IXL makes your job as a parent so much easier—although you just may have to tear them away at bedtime!
  • Improve children’s self-confidence.  At home on IXL, kids can do math at their own pace.  They can use it to reinforce a topic they’ve learned in class (with 2,000+ skills available on IXL, we’re bound to have it!) or even get ahead of the curve.  As their understanding of math skills increases, so does their confidence in their own abilities.  Once they “get” a skill on IXL, they have no problem translating their understanding to problems they receive in class.
  • Get involved in your children’s education.  Not only can you see the problems your children receive as they practice on IXL, but you also have access to a parent dashboard that lets you check on their progress in real time. We offer more than 10 parent reports that help you answer questions like, “How can I help my child catch up, or get ahead?” and “How much has my child improved since the beginning of the school year?”

Even if you can’t be there for every step of your children’s learning journey, you can still play an important role in their education.  IXL helps you make math practice a family affair!

Rania October 30, 2012 at 10:16 pm

Join please

The IXL Blog October 31, 2012 at 10:36 am
Chantall October 30, 2012 at 11:53 pm

Hi my daughter is an 8year old grade 3. They are currently doing patterns and algebra increasing and reducing by different digits. My problem is that she literally hates math and it is a battle to get her to do any excercises. What can I do and how can your program help us? Thanks in advance.

The IXL Blog October 31, 2012 at 10:55 am

Hi, Chantall. IXL was designed not only to reinforce math skills, but also to encourage a love of learning by making math practice fun! Our site is brimming with colorful images and fun awards, so kids feel like they’re playing a game even though they’re completing math problems. We hear from parents all the time about their kids begging to go on IXL at home. They especially get hooked on the virtual prizes! We offer more than 225 skills for third grade, which you can find here: http://www.ixl.com/math/grade-3. Your daughter is welcome to practice 20 free problems per day in any skill (or skills). For information about our membership options, please visit http://www.ixl.com/membership/. If you have further questions, you can contact us at [email protected]; we’d be happy to answer them!

criselda deveza marquez October 31, 2012 at 12:08 am

what is IXL stands for?

The IXL Blog November 2, 2012 at 11:03 am

Hi, Criselda. The name IXL doesn’t have an official meaning, but we like to think of it as a place where *I* can *excel*!

Sara October 31, 2012 at 1:12 am

Can u send me how this will work for my four years old boy

The IXL Blog October 31, 2012 at 11:08 am

Hi, Sara! We do offer more than 40 pre-K math skills (http://www.ixl.com/math/pre-k) and more than 120 kindergarten skills (http://www.ixl.com/math/kindergarten), which you and your son are welcome to try. We also offer an audio feature that’s perfect for young learners, where the questions are read aloud. You can learn more about our membership options here: http://www.ixl.com/membership/. Please don’t hesitate to contact us with further questions at [email protected]!

chelsea November 24, 2012 at 4:52 pm

Hi I’m Chelsea and I am 9 years old and I love this website because I am confused on equivalent fractions but now I’m not cause I learnd from hear so who ever made this site thank u.

Samara williams November 25, 2012 at 7:40 pm

I love ixl it is a fun website where kid can learn and they can have a good education

Lara dunphy November 26, 2012 at 6:32 pm

I know right? IXL is great for everyone! :)

Lara dunphy November 26, 2012 at 6:24 pm

Hi, IXL. My name is Lara and I am in fifth grade. I am having trouble in division, but now because of you I am doing a better job at it. Can you tell me where I can get my results?

kkiely November 29, 2012 at 1:34 pm

Hi Lara! After you sign into your account, you can view your results from the Reports tab. There are 11 reports that you can view to see how you’ve been doing on IXL!

shaniya November 27, 2012 at 9:36 am

hey,ixl today is a great day but when u think it is it isnt and ixl is good for us chidren and other poeople i think the person who made this website is smart!

Suma February 26, 2013 at 8:27 am

Hi, how many problems are there in each exercise please? They seem to be never-ending to me!

Warm Regards,
Suma

The IXL Blog February 27, 2013 at 12:13 pm

Hi, Suma! There are an unlimited number of questions that you can practice on IXL, so there is no set number of problems for each skill. However, depending on the grade level, it can take from about 14-28 questions correct in a row to reach a SmartScore of 100, which is considered complete mastery. Of course, this number will vary depending on the number of incorrect problems and what SmartScore you’re trying to achieve.

Laurie March 24, 2013 at 5:11 pm

Hi,
How much time should we be expecting our kids to spend on ixl daily if we use this program for supplementing public school?

The IXL Blog March 25, 2013 at 1:21 pm

Hi, Laurie. It really depends on the individual child. Most families use IXL by having their children practice the skills they are learning in the classroom and then monitoring their progress with IXL’s SmartScore. They might even set a certain SmartScore as a goal. If you’d like more information about how to take advantage of IXL at home, please contact us at [email protected]; we’d be happy to discuss this further!

Amrah June 8, 2013 at 11:32 am

Dear IXL,
Your website rocks! In the beginning, I did not want to get membership here, but now I do when I had done 20 problems for free! How does the prize system work?

Sincerely,
Amrah

The IXL Blog June 12, 2013 at 3:04 pm

Hi, Amrah. Thanks–that’s great to hear! In regards to the prizes, you earn virtual ribbons and medals as you reach important milestones on IXL, like achieving a certain SmartScore or mastering a skill. You also earn fun prizes–from cute animals to cool cars–for practicing for a certain amount of time, or completing a certain number of problems. You can even earn personalized certificates that celebrate your achievements. There are tons of goodies to uncover along the way! For more info about our membership options, please visit http://www.ixl.com/membership/.

Amrah July 9, 2013 at 1:38 pm

Thank you so much for answering my question, The IXL Blog!

The IXL Blog July 11, 2013 at 11:09 am

We’re happy to help!

Akhil Gajjala October 29, 2013 at 1:37 pm

Thanks to IXL, I’m getting good grades on Algebra 1.

The IXL Blog October 30, 2013 at 9:53 am

Akhil, we’re very happy to hear that IXL is helping you with Algebra 1! Thanks for sharing, and have a fantastic school year!

Akhil Gajjala October 29, 2013 at 1:37 pm

I love IXL!

Akhil Gajjala October 29, 2013 at 1:39 pm

IXL blog, you are awesome!! I owe you one!:)

Heather November 17, 2013 at 10:10 am

I am wondering what the “rank” column is on the reports overview page? Is this his rank among his class for each skill?

The IXL Blog November 19, 2013 at 9:31 am

Hi, Heather. The “rank” column ranks skills by time spent practicing. It can help you get a sense for which skills your son has practiced the most.