Exciting New Features on IXL

January 29, 2013

In the Classroom

To help you put your best foot forward in the New Year, we’re pleased to present our newest additions to IXL.  They’re based directly on feedback from users like you!

• Organizing your roster by class. IXL is getting classy! Whether you’re a resource teacher for multiple grade levels or an upper level math instructor with several different sections, you’ll love our new classes feature.  Not only does it let you organize your student roster into separate classes, but it also enables you to run reports for one specific class, all classes, or any individual student.  This helps ensure that the data you see is the data you need.
  • Inputting answers from right to left.  We know you’ve been waiting for it…and now it’s here!  For all vertical addition and subtraction problems, students can now input their answers from right to left—just as they would if they were completing the problem by hand.  By maintaining consistency from paper work to practice in IXL, this new feature helps solidify students’ understanding of vertical calculations, including regrouping.
  • More advanced Geometry skills. To further enhance students’ practice time on IXL, we’ve added a few new Geometry skills to the mix.  Students can now work on cross-sections of three-dimensional figures, solids of revolution, translations: write the rule, and angle-side relationships in triangles.

Your ideas are important to us, which is why we consider them so carefully.  We hope you enjoy these new enhancements that you helped bring about!

Lise January 29, 2013 at 1:17 pm

ixl is helping me I use to be 4th grade now 6th! thank you! ixl.

Melinda January 30, 2013 at 1:19 pm

AWESOME!!!! how long did it take u to get to 6th grade math. I have a son in the same situation and hoping to get him there too:)

Lise February 3, 2013 at 5:33 pm

thanks you ixl!

jo hill January 30, 2013 at 10:05 am

I LOVE ixl.com. It helps me with my math. :)

Reflight4 January 31, 2013 at 11:22 am

Useful… But I don’t think repetitive math facts is the most effective way to learn…

The IXL Blog February 1, 2013 at 5:37 pm

Hi, there. We agree! That’s why we provide such dynamic problem types on IXL, like interpreting a histogram, graphing an inequality on a number line, and writing out an equation in slope-intercept form. Our questions are also computer generated rather than being pulled from a question bank, so a student will never receive the exact same question twice!

Lise January 31, 2013 at 12:02 pm

Hi! When is the Language Arts coming out?

The IXL Blog February 1, 2013 at 5:40 pm

Hi, Lise. We plan to release language arts next school year.

Grace January 31, 2013 at 4:41 pm

I love ixl. LIFESAVER!!!:)

joe February 3, 2013 at 4:52 pm

Do you do anything thats realated to reading

The IXL Blog February 4, 2013 at 10:03 am

Hi, Joe. Currently, we provide math practice only. However, we plan to release a language arts program later this year that will include spelling, vocabulary, and grammar.

Makenzie February 6, 2013 at 12:53 pm

IXL is okay but i don’t really like it. It is really boring. You should make it more interesting.

The IXL Blog February 6, 2013 at 5:47 pm

Hi, Mackenzie. We’re sorry to hear that. Feel free to send your feedback and ideas to us here: http://www.ixl.com/feedback.

Jenny February 7, 2013 at 10:32 am

I love IXL and so do my students! As a teacher working with children with special needs, I have many different skills that I address and therefore lots of levels going on. I would find it really useful if I could assign a particular skill to a student so that when they signed on, they would only have access to that skill. I monitor as much as I can, but so many of my kids skip around and end up working on skills much lower than what they should be. Do you have any thoughts on this issue? Thanks so much!

The IXL Blog February 7, 2013 at 11:30 am

Hi, Jenny! Thanks for your feedback. We recommend that teachers use our letter-number codes to assign a specific skill. For example, if you’re working on multiplying by 5 at the third grade level, you could ask your students to do skill F.6 and tell them that you’re going to run a report the next morning to see if they did those skills. You can then use the Class Goals report as your “completion check.”

If you have further questions or concerns about this, feel free to e-mail us at info@ixl.com. We’d be happy to discuss it in more detail!

Justin March 11, 2014 at 7:37 am

I am in a similar situation as Jenny. I understand the solution you have presented, but it would be incredibly helpful as a teacher to be able to assign F.6 as a skill they had to complete before being able to access the other skills. My students will consistently try to “work down”, and don’t particularly care if their work is turned in or not. It would be a much more teacher friendly feature for you to add.

The IXL Blog March 11, 2014 at 8:57 am

Thanks for taking the time to let us know your thoughts, Justin. An “assignment” feature is definitely something we are considering in future versions of IXL. We will pass your comments along to our development team.

Kristen November 5, 2014 at 2:37 pm

I concur. It would be invaluable to have a way to assign specific skills to specific students within the website. I hope that IXL will add this feature soon!

Devon February 7, 2013 at 4:33 pm

I love I.X.L best site ever! when is Algebra 2 Coming out?

The IXL Blog February 7, 2013 at 5:55 pm

Hi, Devon! We’re currently hard at work on language arts, so we haven’t set a date yet for Algebra 2. If you’d like to be notified as soon as it’s ready, you can sign up here: http://www.ixl.com/math/comingsoon.

Devon February 8, 2013 at 8:01 am

Darn it I was really looking forward to try it out soon… :(

Devon February 8, 2013 at 8:13 am

Is there any chance Algebra 2 will come out before the end of the school year because i am in 5th grade and ill be going to middle school next year and judging by what my friends tell me i wont have enough time for IXL…

The IXL Blog February 8, 2013 at 10:48 am

Hi, Devon. We love your enthusiasm, but I’m afraid Algebra 2 won’t be ready until after this school year.

honey February 14, 2013 at 3:34 pm

this is awesome. I am learning more and having fun at the same time i just wish i could go on it more

margaret February 25, 2013 at 6:55 am

hi, i love ixl it is soooo fun i could do it alll day, i have soooo many prizes.

zoe February 25, 2013 at 12:16 pm

Hi IXL
Can you get IXL as an app like on technology such as: ipads,iPhones ,kindle fires,or technology like that ???xx

The IXL Blog February 25, 2013 at 5:40 pm

Hi, Zoe. 95% of IXL’s content is currently accessible on mobile devices. We’re also working on an iPad app, which we plan to release later this year!

zoe February 26, 2013 at 12:08 pm

Could you maybe get them on kindle fires or something like a tablet or something like that???xx

The IXL Blog February 26, 2013 at 5:07 pm

Zoe, we do hope to have apps for other devices available in the future.

Ethan Shulman April 28, 2013 at 12:36 pm

what school year will the coming soon topics come out? 2013-2014 or 2014-2015

The IXL Blog April 29, 2013 at 12:54 pm

Hi, Ethan. We plan to release language arts, algebra II, and trigonometry next school year (2013-2014). We will work on releasing other courses after that.

Ethan Shulman April 29, 2013 at 3:56 pm

will we get anything related to science or social studies?

The IXL Blog May 1, 2013 at 12:06 pm

At this time, we are focusing on language arts and more advanced math topics. We do hope to offer other subjects in the future.

Ethan Shulman April 29, 2013 at 8:11 pm

What subjects will the language arts have

The IXL Blog May 1, 2013 at 12:09 pm

Language arts includes spelling, grammar, and vocabulary. We plan to start with a few grade levels at first, before expanding to other grades. If you’d like to be notified as soon as language arts is ready and receive further information about it, you can sign up here: http://www.ixl.com/math/comingsoon.

Ethan Shulman May 2, 2013 at 6:13 pm

what school year will pre-calculus,calculus and statistics come out

The IXL Blog May 3, 2013 at 11:37 am

We don’t have an exact date yet, but we will be working on more advanced math topics after we release Algebra II (which will also include trigonometry skills) next school year.

Kathy June 9, 2013 at 2:00 pm

Will the new language arts program be aligned to core standards?
And, when exactly is it going to be out…. next school year is rather vague.

The IXL Blog June 12, 2013 at 3:19 pm

Hi, Kathy. Yes, our language arts skills will be aligned to state and Common Core standards, similar to IXL math. We don’t have an exact date yet, but we plan to release it in the fall.

Ethan Shulman June 23, 2013 at 2:48 pm

what date will we release language arts

The IXL Blog July 2, 2013 at 11:16 am

Hi, Ethan. We don’t have an exact date yet, but it will be some time in the fall.

Erin September 17, 2013 at 12:30 pm

Is there a way to assign certain levels/skills to individual students so they know what to focus on?

The IXL Blog September 19, 2013 at 10:33 am

Hi, Erin. IXL doesn’t provide a formal assignment feature, but many teachers use our unique letter-number identifiers for assigning skills verbally, or on students’ assignment sheets. For example, if you want one of your fourth grade students to practice place values and converting between place values, you can assign them skills A.1 and A.2. Let us know if you have any further questions!

Cassie October 24, 2013 at 6:36 am

I would love to access IXL for my children on an app. We don’t have a home computer (it broke) but I would like my children to still have access. Are there any apps available? I have a Droid phone and will be purchasing a Kindle.

The IXL Blog October 28, 2013 at 10:53 am

Hi, Cassie. We do have an iPad app available, and we’re currently hard at work on an Android app! IXL is also accessible via any browser on your phone or Kindle.

Nichole Daniels November 21, 2013 at 1:49 pm

Hi I am wondering when an app will be made for android? I’m trying to decide on a Christmas present for my daughter… Hopefully it will be avaliable soon?

The IXL Blog November 22, 2013 at 9:54 am

Hi, Nichole. We hope to release the Android app in the spring of 2014. However, IXL can currently be used in a web browser on any device, including Android phones and tablets. We wish you and your daughter a very happy holiday season!

chris mastin November 25, 2013 at 7:12 pm

ixl is the best way to study for a test

William November 28, 2013 at 9:42 am

Can you guys make the ixl app compatible with iPod and iPhone? I know it is
compatible with iPad but please also make it for iPod and iPhone.

The IXL Blog December 2, 2013 at 3:41 pm

Hi, William. You can always access IXL with a web browser on any device, including iPhones and iPods. We do not currently have plans to release an app for the iPhone and iPod.

Paul December 1, 2013 at 7:13 am

Is the IXL app available for the kindle fire?

The IXL Blog December 2, 2013 at 1:11 pm

Hi, Paul. Our development team is currently hard at work on our Android and Kindle Fire app. We hope to have it out in the spring of 2014, so stay posted!

sheri walters December 7, 2013 at 6:21 pm

can ixl be used on a kindle fire, or nexus 7?

The IXL Blog December 9, 2013 at 9:30 am

Hi, Sheri. IXL can be used in a web browser on any device, including Kindle Fire and Nexus 7. We are also hard at work on an Android app that will support both of those devices, so stay posted!

Sarah January 14, 2014 at 10:05 am

Hi, our kids are both signed up to IXL and having had samsung galaxys for Christmas this year we’re really keen to know if you have a release date for the IXL android app yet? Thanks!

The IXL Blog January 14, 2014 at 11:38 am

Hi, Sarah. We’re so glad to hear that your kids are using IXL! Our development team is currently hard at work on the Android app, and we hope to release it in the spring. In the meantime, you can access IXL with a web browser on any device, including the Samsung Galaxy.

Wanda February 2, 2014 at 3:59 am

Can teachers assign specific tasks to students? I am thinking about getting students to really focus on areas of the most need versus everything.

The IXL Blog February 3, 2014 at 11:10 am

Hi, Wanda. Most teachers assign specific skills by telling their students the letter and number related to each skill within the grade level. For example, in second grade math they would tell their students “A.1″ to assign skip counting.

Robin March 5, 2014 at 2:49 am

I know you keep answering that the android app will be available ‘in the spring’ but can you be more specific? It is the spring as far as I am concerned.

The IXL Blog March 5, 2014 at 9:46 am

Hi, Robin. We’re still on track to release the Android app in the next couple months. It’s hard to be more specific because there are a lot of variables that go into releasing an app, like testing for bugs or unforeseen publishing issues. In the meantime, you can access IXL with a web browser on any device, including all Android devices.

Ani March 17, 2014 at 3:01 pm

I like IXL I just wish it didn’t take u back so much when you made a mistake that really makes me mad

The IXL Blog March 18, 2014 at 7:51 am

Hi, Ani. We’re very sorry to hear you’re feeling upset. The SmartScore was built to measure students’ true understanding of a topic. That’s why more points are taken away when you answer a harder question incorrectly. Once a score of 90 or higher is reached, you can be sure you really “get it”! If you’re concerned about reaching a certain score on IXL, we recommend that you speak to your parent or teacher. We are also interested in protecting students from accidentally entering mistakes in their answers and are considering different ways to do so in future versions of IXL.

Chris April 15, 2014 at 8:50 am

Is IXL for Android in Beta yet? If so, I would love to try it.

The IXL Blog April 15, 2014 at 10:41 am

Thanks for your interest, Chris! Unfortunately, we do not have a public Beta phase for our Android app. It is set to be released in the coming months though, so keep an eye out! If you want to be notified as soon as it comes out, you can sign up here: http://www.ixl.com/comingsoon

Hanae June 16, 2014 at 10:07 am

Is IXL Math available for Kindle Fire yet?? I would love to subscribe for the yearly membership so my daughter can continue to learn during this summer and continue on for the Next school year… The subscription, is it only Math or Language Art or can she do both Math and Language arts under the same subscription??

The IXL Blog June 16, 2014 at 2:37 pm

Hi, Hanae. Our engineers are hard at work finishing up the Android app for a summer release. You can also sign your daughter up for either IXL Math, IXL Language Arts, or both under the same subscription. Hope you have a fabulous summer full of learning!

Etienne June 17, 2014 at 1:55 am

If i register my child on IXL on the web, will i get automatic registration on the Android app when it is launched i.e will i need to re-register on the app. And will there be an additional fee for having it on the web and on the app. This info will assist me in deciding which medium to use.

The IXL Blog June 17, 2014 at 9:40 am

Hi, Etienne. You will be able to use the Android app without re-registration. All you have to do is use the same login credentials and your child’s practice will be synced across devices. The Android app will also be completely free! Currently, IXL Language Arts is only available in the US edition, but you are able to change editions by following the instructions here: http://za.ixl.com/help-center/search-results/How-do-I-change-to-another-country%E2%80%99s-edition%3F-/1278074. Let us know if you have any other questions!

Etienne June 17, 2014 at 2:29 am

Will Language Arts be available to users in South Africa?

Etienne June 18, 2014 at 1:39 am

Thank you. So the golden question again is when will the app be available. Can you tell me in months and not seasons as the seasons in US and SA are not aligned. Thanks

The IXL Blog June 18, 2014 at 11:52 am

Etienne, we’re on track to release the Android app in the next couple months (July-August). It’s hard to be more specific because there are a lot of variables that go into releasing an app, like testing for bugs or unforeseen publishing issues. In the meantime, you can access IXL with a web browser on any device, including all Android devices. If you would like to be notified when the app is ready, you can sign up on our coming soon page.

Ike June 19, 2014 at 7:01 pm

I think it would be much more easier to use IXL if there was an iPhone Anf iPod app as well since the browser version doesn’t work very well on phones and iPods. Also more kids have iPads and iPods these days and it would much more convenient for kids like me. It would REALLY help

I would appreciate it if you made my idea a reality thanx

The IXL Blog June 23, 2014 at 2:33 pm

Hi, Ike. We do have an iPad app that you can download here!

Ike August 21, 2014 at 2:52 pm

I meant an iphone app

Samuel Da Fonseca July 20, 2014 at 4:21 am

Hi I’m having trouble on my galaxy device. I use IXL in the stock browser. I’m currently stuck on grade 9 activity V.6 as the i am unable to insert any numbers into the insert box. Thanks

The IXL Blog July 21, 2014 at 12:36 pm

Hi, Samuel. We’re so sorry to hear that you’re experiencing technical difficulties. If you enter your information into this form, our technical support team will be able to reach out to you. You can also call them directly at (877) 282-4400 ext. 1 or email them at help@ixl.com. They would love to help you through this issue!

Yetunde August 6, 2014 at 9:56 am

I see that the android app is now available on Google play. Any plans for an app for Kindle fire?

The IXL Blog August 11, 2014 at 4:21 pm

Hi, Yetunde. Our engineers are working hard to finish up the app for the Kindle fire. It should be available in the next month!

Ike August 14, 2014 at 4:18 pm

Can I please ask when an iPhone app will be available because the experience isn’t really that great using the browser from my phone and unfortunately I do not have access to an iPad all the time

The IXL Blog August 25, 2014 at 1:40 pm

Hi, Ike. Thanks for the question! We currently have the IXL Math app on the iTunes and Google Play app stores. You can also access our website on any internet-ready device. We are interested in making our interactive questions available on iPhones and are exploring different ways to do in future!

Pushkala November 2, 2014 at 2:50 pm

I have IXL acct for my son from the school and also I have a personal account for my other kid. We have only one iPad and I was wondering if you are planning on adding a feature to your app to allow more than one user to sign in and have an easy mechanism to flip between the accounts. The kids are getting accustomed to the iPad app. Please advise.

Thanks

The IXL Blog November 3, 2014 at 11:13 am

Hi Pushkala, thank you for sharing this suggestion! We will pass it along to our development team.

jessica duncan November 3, 2014 at 7:31 am

ixl is the most hard thing ever to do it is so diffcult thing to do

The IXL Blog November 3, 2014 at 11:12 am

Hi Jessica, we’re sorry to hear that you’re experiencing difficulty with IXL. The program is designed to challenge you to help you understand and master skills, so we hope that with more practice the problems will become easier for you!

chris November 22, 2014 at 9:17 am

I see “next month” a few times for thekindle release. Any eta yet?

Thanks

The IXL Blog November 24, 2014 at 9:24 am

Hi Chris, our Kindle Fire app is available now! Learn more here: http://www.amazon.com/IXL-Learning-Math-Practice/dp/B00N9L9QKM/