IXL Insights – Welcome to the Challenge Zone

September 26, 2013

IXL Insights

Practice on IXL is always exciting, but there’s something about that final stretch you just can’t beat. As soon as you reach a SmartScore of 90, you collect your third ribbon and the countdown begins…Welcome to the Challenge Zone!

The Challenge Zone, that stretch of questions between 90 and 100, gives students a chance to really show off their stuff. Any score above 90 is excellent, but for those who wish to push even further, hidden prizes and a deeper level of understanding await!

In the Challenge Zone, students will encounter some of the most difficult questions in that skill, so taking their time and double-checking answers is encouraged. At the same time, the pulsating glow of their SmartScore motivates them to keep up their momentum and finish strong.

When they reach that 100, they’ll know they really earned it!

jake September 30, 2013 at 8:18 am

I think ixl is a really fun way to learn math and solve equations.

The IXL Blog September 30, 2013 at 2:36 pm

Thanks, Jake. We’re so glad you’re enjoying IXL!

A random person February 18, 2014 at 1:03 pm

IXL seems boring as it is just a digital workbook… I wish it was fun. Now it seems like the saying “IXL is a fun way to learn math” was a lie. It just seems like a workbook.

IXL language arts, however, is great. I like the topics and the content.

The IXL Blog February 19, 2014 at 9:36 am

Hi there. We’re so glad to hear that you’re enjoying IXL Language Arts! The awards, colorful visuals, and real-world examples do make IXL Math fun for many students as well, and we’re sorry to hear that you don’t feel that way. We will pass your comments along to our development team.

Eisa October 13, 2013 at 7:32 pm

How many problems must a student solve in order to receive a smart score of 100 on a 6th grade objective? (If they do not miss any along the way…)

The IXL Blog October 16, 2013 at 10:48 am

Hi, Eisa. A student can master a 6th grade skill (meaning they earn a SmartScore of 100) by answering about 28 questions correctly without missing any.

lanaya October 22, 2013 at 12:06 pm

i love doing it

Noah Earley December 6, 2013 at 11:12 am

HI IXL, the challenge zone is new to me and i don’t know what its per-pose is. Other then telling me im at mark 90 on my smart score.

The IXL Blog December 9, 2013 at 10:17 am

Hi, Noah. Once you reach a SmartScore of 90 and enter the Challenge Zone, you’re in the final stretch. This means the questions are more difficult, and you should take your time and double-check your answers. Once you clear the last hurdle of the Challenge Zone and reach 100, you can celebrate that you’ve mastered the skill (and maybe get a secret prize or an award)!

Noah Earley December 6, 2013 at 11:14 am

(just for ixl) how long does it take for you to answer
the blog questions?

The IXL Blog December 9, 2013 at 9:39 am

Hi, Noah. We get a lot of questions—on the blog and in other places—but we try to answer as soon as we can. If you ever have an urgent question about IXL, your parents can call us at (855) 255-8800 or e-mail us at support@ixl.com.

Noah Earley December 11, 2013 at 11:26 am

ahhh thanks!!!!\

EJ Shulman December 14, 2013 at 12:26 pm

143 goes into 1001 7 times

The IXL Blog December 16, 2013 at 10:03 am

That’s right! Good job!

Alex January 12, 2014 at 12:09 pm

I am in 4th grade.-7 x-7=49

The IXL Blog January 13, 2014 at 10:01 am

Awesome! That’s correct!

Ilhaam January 23, 2014 at 12:12 pm

I really love IXL,I mean it really helps me! It’s awesome.

The IXL Blog January 24, 2014 at 10:13 am

Thanks, Ilhaam. We’re so glad to hear that IXL is making a difference for you!

deirdre ferry February 10, 2014 at 12:27 pm

ixl teaches my kidoes some great math my dauhters are eager to learn math now because of ixl

The IXL Blog February 11, 2014 at 4:50 am

That’s fantastic, Deirdre. Thanks for using IXL!

L1am335 February 20, 2014 at 7:47 am

I really don’t like the challenge zone. It makes me lose much more than I get, and it adds a lot of time to what I’m doing. (EX: 4×4= 16c Score: 99 (BEFORE) Score: 90 (AFTER). Also, the Challenge Zone only gives you 1-2 points every question you get right, so it takes quite a while to get back your 9 points.

The IXL Blog February 20, 2014 at 10:43 am

Hi there. Any score of 90 or more is excellent, and shows that you have a good sense for the topic. The idea behind The Challenge Zone is that reaching a SmartScore 100 shows complete understanding of a skill. Of course this can be tricky, and we suggest that you speak to your teacher or parents if you are having trouble with a particular topic, or if you think it is taking you too long to get there.

Joanne February 28, 2014 at 11:47 am

I love IXL. I think it encourages my daughter to learn above and beyond what is expected in her classroom. She does get quite frustrated at how much the score drops when missing a problem – as opposed to how little is gained by answering a question correctly (especially near the 100 smart score). I wish that IXL was designed so that once a child reaches a score of 90, they never drop below a score of 90. I think that once they have reached the challenge zone it should keep them in the challenge zone.

The IXL Blog February 28, 2014 at 1:07 pm

Hi, Joanne. We’re so glad to hear that IXL is encouraging your daughter to go the extra mile!

The idea behind SmartScore is that when a student misses a question, they are brought to a level of difficulty where they can better understand the topic. As students practice, it is constantly assessing and responding to how well they doing, which is why a student who reaches 90 but is struggling may be brought to a more foundational level in that skill. Of course, it is up to parents or teachers exactly what level a student should reach before they are done practicing. A score of 90 shows excellent understanding of a skill, and a score of 100 is true mastery.

We are always working to improve IXL, and we appreciate you taking the time to let us know your thoughts. We will pass your comments along to our development team.

Jackie March 11, 2014 at 10:13 am

My 4-year-old has really been enjoying the IXL math questions and has completed most of them (he skipped some of the basic dot-counting questions which were too easy). I’m wondering if there is a way for him to start completely over on the Pre-K level (including the prizes for motivation), as I don’t think he’s quite ready to move on to KG just yet. I would like for him to get more practice with the Pre-K. Is there a way that we can clear everything so that he can start over?

The IXL Blog March 11, 2014 at 10:36 am

That’s fantastic, Jackie! Congratulations to your son on his hard work! Yes, we should be able to reset the data in your account. Someone from IXL technical support will reach out to you via email shortly to help with this.

SEan! July 9, 2014 at 3:42 pm

Thx for making ixl!Im in Summer,but i know this.-850*7434=6318900.