IXL Math Graduates to High School

October 3, 2013

At Home, In the Classroom

You’re probably familiar with our elementary and middle school math content, but did you know IXL is taking on high school? Students who practice Algebra 1, Geometry, and Algebra 2 skills on IXL will encounter not only more complex subject matter but also more sophisticated problem types to keep them challenged and engaged in learning.

IXL provides access to hundreds of advanced, standards-aligned math skills, covering topics like:

• Quadratic functions
  • Trigonometry
  • Matrices
  • Complex numbers
  • Conic sections

…and much more!

Here are just a few of the great things you can expect from our high school content:

Independent learning
IXL’s adaptive technology ensures students receive questions appropriate to their level of understanding, while real-time scoring lets them know if they’re on the right track. When they answer a question incorrectly, they’re presented with an answer explanation specific to that question. This allows students to guide their own learning, while still providing the support they need to keep improving.

Immersive environment
Students today spend a significant portion of their free time online, so when it comes to math practice, why take them out of their element? IXL blurs the line between school work and fun time with engaging problem types that go beyond multiple choice in an online format students can relate to. As students’ engagement in the material deepens, so does their understanding.

Complete progress tracking
IXL makes it easy to track every aspect of student performance on IXL. More than 35 detailed reports help teachers identify areas of strength and monitor practice habits, such as when students do their homework, how much time they spend practicing, and how ready they are for state testing. These reports can also be used to diagnose trouble spots and adapt lesson plans to fit students’ needs.  Teachers with multiple classes can run reports for one specific class, all classes, or any individual student.

These features, combined with our infinite number of questions and unlimited access to all grade levels, ensure there’s always something more to discover on IXL!

abdlqader October 4, 2013 at 1:43 am

Stephanie October 6, 2013 at 7:40 pm

Are there plans to release an iPad app for the middle and high school level skills?

The IXL Blog October 7, 2013 at 2:52 pm

Hi, Stephanie. The answer is yes! 7th and 8th grade skills should be available on the app later this year, and we’ll be working on Algebra 1, Geometry, and Algebra 2 after that.

Tina October 9, 2013 at 8:33 am

Really! I am ten years old, in the fifth grade, and rely heavily based on Seventh Grade level. All others in my class use 5th grade. I have also mastered a skill on Algebra 1 and Geometry, too…
When I was in second grade my academics towered above grade level. In third grade I started to use IXL anonymously. In fourth grade, guess what? My average math grade level was near the 9th grade line!

Elisia November 19, 2013 at 3:14 pm

I think this is a very good program, but…. I think that it is kind of extreme to go up by 1 point and take you down by 10 points. Also, I think it should go up by more points in the 80s and 90s smartscore because it takes forever, and I think if you get to 80 points, it is already showing that you have the skill to master it. I know a lot of other people who feel the same way. I would appreciate if you made changes, but I understand if you do not want to. Thanks!

The IXL Blog November 20, 2013 at 3:23 pm

Hi, Elisia. Thanks for your feedback! IXL’s SmartScore is designed to measure a student’s true understanding of a topic, which is why questions get harder as you progress through a skill and why more points are taken away when you answer a question incorrectly. We agree that a SmartScore of 80 or 90 is very good! It’s up to your teacher or parents exactly what level you should reach before you are finished practicing.

lanaya November 22, 2013 at 9:16 am

i am 8 yrs old what about 3rd grade?

The IXL Blog November 22, 2013 at 11:28 am

Hi, Lanaya. We have hundreds of skills for 3rd grade, in both math and language arts!

Ebon Talifarro August 26, 2014 at 9:29 am

Hey, I’m Ebon Talifarro, my class (8th grade) wants to interview you, would you have time to answer a few questions?

The IXL Blog September 8, 2014 at 3:03 pm