6 Parent Blogs to Watch

October 29, 2013

At Home

Blogs have become one of the most powerful ways for parents to share and connect with one another online. Whether you’re looking for information, entertainment, or a little bit of both, here are some of our favorite parent blogs to follow.

1. Most likely to inspire you: Enjoying the Small Things

With a knack for writing and an eye for photography, Kelle Hampton blogs about loving and living with five kids in Naples, FL. She writes with honesty and optimism on everything from DIY holiday crafts to raising a daughter with special needs—and, above all, enjoying the small things in life.

2. Most likely to challenge your perceptions: I Am Not the Babysitter

Jamie Lynne Grumet’s blog focuses on her two sons, one biological and one adopted from Ethiopia. She writes about her experiences with adoption, lifestyle decisions like attachment parenting, her involvement in the global community, and getting mistaken for her children’s babysitter.

3. Most likely to teach you something new: Make It or Fix It Yourself!

When Sharon Hodge left her teaching job to spend more time with her family, she began contemplating different ways to save money, from making homemade cleaning products to doing her own home repairs. She eventually started a blog about her projects. It’s perfect for parents who are living on a budget, or those who simply want to acquire some handy skills!

4. Most likely to give you the travel bug: Luxury Travel Mom

Kim-Marie Evans lives the life most of us only dream about; she works as a freelance writer specializing in luxury and family travel. She blogs about her adventures as she whisks her four kids around the world. Recent destinations include Disney’s Aulani resort in Honolulu, the Dominican Republic, and Paris, France.

5. Most likely to make you laugh: Captain Dad

Pat Byrnes is a stay-at-home dad and cartoonist for The New Yorker. His witty posts and hilarious cartoons, which are all based on his real-life experiences, capture the myriad of emotions that come with being a parent.

6. Most likely to get you hooked: The Posh Little Baby

Kate is a mother of four who enjoys writing about her kids, crafty projects, and shopping obsessions. Her colorful photographs, detailed product reviews, and cute kiddie giveaways will keep you coming back for more!

Do you have a favorite parent blog? Tell us about it!

Luke western an November 4, 2013 at 1:06 pm

When my kid misses it he gets made curse u take so much points away I really don’t like it either cause it takes up more time

lanaya November 20, 2013 at 9:26 am

i agree

The IXL Blog November 5, 2013 at 10:12 am

Hi, Luke. SmartScore is intended to measure a student’s true understanding of a topic, which is why questions get harder as you progress through a skill and why more points are taken away when you answer a harder question incorrectly. The idea is that when your student reaches a score of 90 or higher, you can feel confident that they really understand the topic!

Hannah November 15, 2013 at 7:27 am

Hi,
I love ixl and it helps me a lot but I was just wondering if there is any way to get rid of the timer because when I get a question wrong it still times you and I think it might be better if it doesn’t time you when your reading over your mistake.

thank-you

The IXL Blog November 15, 2013 at 1:57 pm

Hi, Hannah. We’re so happy to hear that you like IXL and it’s helping you learn! To remove the timer, we recommend that you talk to your teacher or parents. They can choose to hide the timer after clicking on their username and selecting “profile and settings.”

lanaya November 20, 2013 at 9:36 am

i like ixl but i haven’t goon on much…… i have brother who is 11 he gos on a lot he name is Forrest or mac ps he is older then me.

me March 3, 2014 at 12:29 pm

well duhh he is older mabey not how old are you

lanaya November 20, 2013 at 9:27 am

me too

Asia March 6, 2014 at 8:42 am

yeah because when I have to read the whole thing it still keep going like plesess stop

Person November 21, 2013 at 1:49 pm

Why do you take so many points away for one missed problem? It’s getting very annoying and it’s ridiculous!

The IXL Blog November 22, 2013 at 11:22 am

Hi there. We’re very sorry to hear you’re feeling annoyed. IXL’s SmartScore is designed to measure a student’s true understanding of a topic, which is why the questions get harder as your progress through a skill and why more points are taken away if you answer a harder question incorrectly. The idea is that once you reach a SmartScore of 90 or higher, you can be confident that you really understand the topic!

girl December 18, 2013 at 2:46 pm

I agree, when i get something wrong it moves me back like seven points.
It takes very long and sometimes its annoying and its always terrible

detryaunahemphill January 22, 2014 at 2:44 pm

i love IXL too

GIRL December 19, 2013 at 3:14 pm

I like ixl fine but i hate how many points are taken away when you get one wrong i think you should that and ixl is very boring you should add some games or some to make it fun

The IXL Blog December 20, 2013 at 9:48 am

Hi there. The idea behind SmartScore is that once you reach 100, you can be sure you truly understand the skill. This is why questions get more difficult and SmartScore increases as you learn. If you miss a question, IXL brings you to a level where you can better understand the topic, which is why your score decreases. Of course, it is up to your parents or teacher exactly what score you need to reach before you are done practicing. If you are having trouble with a specific skill, we recommend you talk to your parents or teacher.

We do hear from many kids that the awards and certificates are a lot of fun, and we’re sorry to hear you don’t think so. Thanks for your suggestion about games. We’ll certainly pass that along to our development team.

divya December 24, 2013 at 10:31 am

I like this website but it has some hard questions in it.

gamergirl January 15, 2014 at 3:03 pm

dear, ixl blog i like ixl and all but why do you take away so many points? I also think you should make it a little more fun, cold hard facts are not that good. at least you are better than stupid old reflex math if i where you i would spice up reflex math so everyone else like you better than other math websites…. but you will never be better than cool math games.com because you don’t even learn there so you should take my advise. or you may start losing students schools may want to purchase your website if i ran a school system i would not bye ixl. please take my comment into consideration. (:

The IXL Blog January 16, 2014 at 9:30 am

Hi there. Thanks for taking the time to let us know your thoughts. SmartScore shows a student’s true understanding of a skill, which is why it goes up and down as you practice. The questions purposely get harder as you progress through a skill, so when you reach a score of 90 or more, you can be sure you truly understand it! We’ll of course pass all your comments on to our development team.

gamergirl January 16, 2014 at 6:29 pm

Thanks ixl
i appreciate that a lot, so many people will be happy if that happens i bet you website will get more purchases from many people. (:

person #123 January 15, 2014 at 3:44 pm

I want more games!!!! Just like reflex math it is fun but it teaches you things too! I also want to say that you don’t get enough prizes it is not fun any more!!!! I hope you can add more mini games or stuff like that. Please fix, Thanks.

The IXL Blog January 16, 2014 at 9:03 am

Thanks for your feedback! We’ll pass your comments about wanting more games and prizes along to our development team.

AVIK January 30, 2014 at 1:27 am

The problems are interesting but not challenging.I am a student of class XII.You don’t have any problems of Calculus,Matrix etc. You don’t have Physics,Chemistry or Computer Science.There should be no problem making these categories.Then where are they ? Then why should I take the high-costly membership ? Give me one good reason for that.

The IXL Blog January 31, 2014 at 2:57 pm

Hi, Avik. Our development team is currently hard at work adding more levels to IXL. We do expect to have even higher level math soon, and if you would like to be notified when it is ready, you can sign up here: http://www.ixl.com/comingsoon. We also hope to add other subjects in the future.

hemraj March 1, 2014 at 1:41 pm

it has good problems but why do you take away too many points? over all its a good wedsite

hemraj March 1, 2014 at 1:43 pm

when are you going to put in grade 12

hemraj March 2, 2014 at 9:02 am

Hi,

thank-you

The IXL Blog March 2, 2014 at 10:12 am

Hi, Hemraj. IXL’s SmartScore is meant to provide an accurate measurement of a student’s true understanding of a skill, which is why your SmartScore goes up or down as you practice. The questions purposely get harder as you progress through a skill, so when you reach a score of 90 or above, you can be confident that you really understand it!

We’re also hard at work on more grade levels, so keep an eye out! You can sign up here and be notified as soon as it comes out: http://www.ixl.com/comingsoon

Regarding the timer: to hide it, your parent or teacher needs to click on the welcome drop-down menu in the upper-right corner. Select Profile & settings. Under Settings, check the box for Hide timer, and click Submit.

Thanks for reaching out to us and we’re glad you’re enjoying IXL! Let us know if you have any further questions!

james March 3, 2014 at 6:42 am

Great source

hemraj March 4, 2014 at 3:51 pm

thanks ixl

jaden March 5, 2014 at 11:46 am

pretty cool

Asia March 6, 2014 at 7:55 am

ixl is the bomb

Asia March 6, 2014 at 7:57 am

hello Jaden from 3 grade happy face

acacia May 8, 2014 at 8:08 am

parents are with u all ways!
have faith!

acacia June 24, 2014 at 1:48 pm

parents are someone to count on!

NoNeedToKnow October 6, 2014 at 9:31 pm

I hate ixl, when im at 95 out of know where im at 63. Please stop making the score go down so much. Ixl is really starting to annoy me, i hate it

The IXL Blog October 7, 2014 at 4:03 pm

Sorry to hear you’re frustrated! IXL’s SmartScore is intended to measure students’ true understanding of a topic, which is why the questions get harder as you progress through a skill and why more points are taken away when you answer a harder question incorrectly. However, once a score of 90 or higher is reached, you can feel confident that you really understand the skill!

Jaylene October 20, 2014 at 2:57 pm

I TOTALLY AGREE!

Jaylene October 15, 2014 at 7:04 pm

IXL is horrible. It is sort of fun. But when I am at 89, after 3 more questions, WHAMMO! I’m at 77. Sorry , but I do not like IXL that much.

The IXL Blog October 16, 2014 at 11:41 am

Hi Jaylene, IXL lowers your SmartScore when you miss a question to give you more time to practice – then, once you better understand the topic and get more questions right, your score goes up. Thank you for your suggestion about adding games to the program – we’ll pass it on to our development team!

Jaylene October 15, 2014 at 7:08 pm

I want games , please. I get bored . Add more stuff to IXL. Kid’s will like you better. (Maybe on me me though.) :)