6 Parent Blogs to Watch

October 29, 2013

At Home

Blogs have become one of the most powerful ways for parents to share and connect with one another online. Whether you’re looking for information, entertainment, or a little bit of both, here are some of our favorite parent blogs to follow.

1. Most likely to inspire you: Enjoying the Small Things

With a knack for writing and an eye for photography, Kelle Hampton blogs about loving and living with five kids in Naples, FL. She writes with honesty and optimism on everything from DIY holiday crafts to raising a daughter with special needs—and, above all, enjoying the small things in life.

2. Most likely to challenge your perceptions: I Am Not the Babysitter

Jamie Lynne Grumet’s blog focuses on her two sons, one biological and one adopted from Ethiopia. She writes about her experiences with adoption, lifestyle decisions like attachment parenting, her involvement in the global community, and getting mistaken for her children’s babysitter.

3. Most likely to teach you something new: Make It or Fix It Yourself!

When Sharon Hodge left her teaching job to spend more time with her family, she began contemplating different ways to save money, from making homemade cleaning products to doing her own home repairs. She eventually started a blog about her projects. It’s perfect for parents who are living on a budget, or those who simply want to acquire some handy skills!

4. Most likely to give you the travel bug: Luxury Travel Mom

Kim-Marie Evans lives the life most of us only dream about; she works as a freelance writer specializing in luxury and family travel. She blogs about her adventures as she whisks her four kids around the world. Recent destinations include Disney’s Aulani resort in Honolulu, the Dominican Republic, and Paris, France.

5. Most likely to make you laugh: Captain Dad

Pat Byrnes is a stay-at-home dad and cartoonist for The New Yorker. His witty posts and hilarious cartoons, which are all based on his real-life experiences, capture the myriad of emotions that come with being a parent.

6. Most likely to get you hooked: The Posh Little Baby

Kate is a mother of four who enjoys writing about her kids, crafty projects, and shopping obsessions. Her colorful photographs, detailed product reviews, and cute kiddie giveaways will keep you coming back for more!

Do you have a favorite parent blog? Tell us about it!

Luke western an November 4, 2013 at 1:06 pm

When my kid misses it he gets made curse u take so much points away I really don’t like it either cause it takes up more time

lanaya November 20, 2013 at 9:26 am

i agree

The IXL Blog November 5, 2013 at 10:12 am

Hi, Luke. SmartScore is intended to measure a student’s true understanding of a topic, which is why questions get harder as you progress through a skill and why more points are taken away when you answer a harder question incorrectly. The idea is that when your student reaches a score of 90 or higher, you can feel confident that they really understand the topic!

Sebastian April 3, 2015 at 3:06 pm

Hi, I just wanted to say that I know the reason you have the “smart”score. But I don’t get why do you take away so many points?

The IXL Team April 6, 2015 at 9:44 am

Hi Sebastian, we take away points to give you more time to practice. We designed the program so that no matter how many points are taken away, you are still able to work back up to your target SmartScore and master the skill!

Hannah November 15, 2013 at 7:27 am

Hi,
I love ixl and it helps me a lot but I was just wondering if there is any way to get rid of the timer because when I get a question wrong it still times you and I think it might be better if it doesn’t time you when your reading over your mistake.

thank-you

The IXL Blog November 15, 2013 at 1:57 pm

Hi, Hannah. We’re so happy to hear that you like IXL and it’s helping you learn! To remove the timer, we recommend that you talk to your teacher or parents. They can choose to hide the timer after clicking on their username and selecting “profile and settings.”

lanaya November 20, 2013 at 9:36 am

i like ixl but i haven’t goon on much…… i have brother who is 11 he gos on a lot he name is Forrest or mac ps he is older then me.

me March 3, 2014 at 12:29 pm

well duhh he is older mabey not how old are you

Room 28 December 16, 2015 at 6:00 pm

Hiding the timer still times you though.

lanaya November 20, 2013 at 9:27 am

me too

Asia March 6, 2014 at 8:42 am

yeah because when I have to read the whole thing it still keep going like plesess stop

Person November 21, 2013 at 1:49 pm

Why do you take so many points away for one missed problem? It’s getting very annoying and it’s ridiculous!

The IXL Blog November 22, 2013 at 11:22 am

Hi there. We’re very sorry to hear you’re feeling annoyed. IXL’s SmartScore is designed to measure a student’s true understanding of a topic, which is why the questions get harder as your progress through a skill and why more points are taken away if you answer a harder question incorrectly. The idea is that once you reach a SmartScore of 90 or higher, you can be confident that you really understand the topic!

The IXL Blog Hater July 7, 2015 at 11:43 am

Why would anyone want that, if a kid is at 99 surely he should not be dropped back to 1

The IXL Team July 8, 2015 at 8:37 am

Hi there – we just wanted to let you know that the SmartScore does not drop from 99 to 1, though we do drop the score a bit to challenge students to truly earn a score of 100!

Brandon September 16, 2015 at 10:56 pm

I was on 99 and I got ONE wrong and it moved me back to 91. That is just stupid.

The IXL Team September 17, 2015 at 10:25 am

Hi Brandon, sorry you’re feeling frustrated. The SmartScore is designed to give you more time to practice if you get a question wrong. That way, once you reach 100, you’ll know you’ve really mastered the skill.

girl December 18, 2013 at 2:46 pm

I agree, when i get something wrong it moves me back like seven points.
It takes very long and sometimes its annoying and its always terrible

detryaunahemphill January 22, 2014 at 2:44 pm

i love IXL too

GIRL December 19, 2013 at 3:14 pm

I like ixl fine but i hate how many points are taken away when you get one wrong i think you should that and ixl is very boring you should add some games or some to make it fun

The IXL Blog December 20, 2013 at 9:48 am

Hi there. The idea behind SmartScore is that once you reach 100, you can be sure you truly understand the skill. This is why questions get more difficult and SmartScore increases as you learn. If you miss a question, IXL brings you to a level where you can better understand the topic, which is why your score decreases. Of course, it is up to your parents or teacher exactly what score you need to reach before you are done practicing. If you are having trouble with a specific skill, we recommend you talk to your parents or teacher.

We do hear from many kids that the awards and certificates are a lot of fun, and we’re sorry to hear you don’t think so. Thanks for your suggestion about games. We’ll certainly pass that along to our development team.

divya December 24, 2013 at 10:31 am

I like this website but it has some hard questions in it.

gamergirl January 15, 2014 at 3:03 pm

dear, ixl blog i like ixl and all but why do you take away so many points? I also think you should make it a little more fun, cold hard facts are not that good. at least you are better than stupid old reflex math if i where you i would spice up reflex math so everyone else like you better than other math websites…. but you will never be better than cool math games.com because you don’t even learn there so you should take my advise. or you may start losing students schools may want to purchase your website if i ran a school system i would not bye ixl. please take my comment into consideration. (:

The IXL Blog January 16, 2014 at 9:30 am

Hi there. Thanks for taking the time to let us know your thoughts. SmartScore shows a student’s true understanding of a skill, which is why it goes up and down as you practice. The questions purposely get harder as you progress through a skill, so when you reach a score of 90 or more, you can be sure you truly understand it! We’ll of course pass all your comments on to our development team.

gamergirl January 16, 2014 at 6:29 pm

Thanks ixl
i appreciate that a lot, so many people will be happy if that happens i bet you website will get more purchases from many people. (:

person #123 January 15, 2014 at 3:44 pm

I want more games!!!! Just like reflex math it is fun but it teaches you things too! I also want to say that you don’t get enough prizes it is not fun any more!!!! I hope you can add more mini games or stuff like that. Please fix, Thanks.

The IXL Blog January 16, 2014 at 9:03 am

Thanks for your feedback! We’ll pass your comments about wanting more games and prizes along to our development team.

AVIK January 30, 2014 at 1:27 am

The problems are interesting but not challenging.I am a student of class XII.You don’t have any problems of Calculus,Matrix etc. You don’t have Physics,Chemistry or Computer Science.There should be no problem making these categories.Then where are they ? Then why should I take the high-costly membership ? Give me one good reason for that.

The IXL Blog January 31, 2014 at 2:57 pm

Hi, Avik. Our development team is currently hard at work adding more levels to IXL. We do expect to have even higher level math soon, and if you would like to be notified when it is ready, you can sign up here: http://www.ixl.com/comingsoon. We also hope to add other subjects in the future.

hemraj March 1, 2014 at 1:41 pm

it has good problems but why do you take away too many points? over all its a good wedsite

hemraj March 1, 2014 at 1:43 pm

when are you going to put in grade 12

hemraj March 2, 2014 at 9:02 am

Hi,

thank-you

The IXL Blog March 2, 2014 at 10:12 am

Hi, Hemraj. IXL’s SmartScore is meant to provide an accurate measurement of a student’s true understanding of a skill, which is why your SmartScore goes up or down as you practice. The questions purposely get harder as you progress through a skill, so when you reach a score of 90 or above, you can be confident that you really understand it!

We’re also hard at work on more grade levels, so keep an eye out! You can sign up here and be notified as soon as it comes out: http://www.ixl.com/comingsoon

Regarding the timer: to hide it, your parent or teacher needs to click on the welcome drop-down menu in the upper-right corner. Select Profile & settings. Under Settings, check the box for Hide timer, and click Submit.

Thanks for reaching out to us and we’re glad you’re enjoying IXL! Let us know if you have any further questions!

james March 3, 2014 at 6:42 am

Great source

austin November 4, 2015 at 10:42 am

you right

hemraj March 4, 2014 at 3:51 pm

thanks ixl

jaden March 5, 2014 at 11:46 am

pretty cool

Asia March 6, 2014 at 7:55 am

ixl is the bomb

Asia March 6, 2014 at 7:57 am

hello Jaden from 3 grade happy face

acacia May 8, 2014 at 8:08 am

parents are with u all ways!
have faith!

acacia June 24, 2014 at 1:48 pm

parents are someone to count on!

NoNeedToKnow October 6, 2014 at 9:31 pm

I hate ixl, when im at 95 out of know where im at 63. Please stop making the score go down so much. Ixl is really starting to annoy me, i hate it

The IXL Blog October 7, 2014 at 4:03 pm

Sorry to hear you’re frustrated! IXL’s SmartScore is intended to measure students’ true understanding of a topic, which is why the questions get harder as you progress through a skill and why more points are taken away when you answer a harder question incorrectly. However, once a score of 90 or higher is reached, you can feel confident that you really understand the skill!

Hayz August 18, 2015 at 5:25 am

Why do all of the smartscore issues literally have the exact same answer every time? You people should stop complaining to the blog and join something else.

Jaylene October 20, 2014 at 2:57 pm

I TOTALLY AGREE!

Jaylene October 15, 2014 at 7:04 pm

IXL is horrible. It is sort of fun. But when I am at 89, after 3 more questions, WHAMMO! I’m at 77. Sorry , but I do not like IXL that much.

The IXL Blog October 16, 2014 at 11:41 am

Hi Jaylene, IXL lowers your SmartScore when you miss a question to give you more time to practice – then, once you better understand the topic and get more questions right, your score goes up. Thank you for your suggestion about adding games to the program – we’ll pass it on to our development team!

Jaylene October 15, 2014 at 7:08 pm

I want games , please. I get bored . Add more stuff to IXL. Kid’s will like you better. (Maybe on me me though.) :)

dragon November 4, 2014 at 9:21 am

Hey ixl i am very fustarated with ixl can you give me a tip thanx
dragon

The IXL Blog November 4, 2014 at 11:51 am

Hi there, we’d like to help – can you let us know what you’re having trouble with specifically?

Tecna November 22, 2014 at 5:55 pm

I do IXL myself and I think it isn’t so bad.Even though there are too little prizes and is very boring.You should have a big prize for when you finish one letter section.I know that you try to help kids learn but sometime ixl is a little fustrating.It would be helpful to do hints on like three problems or so.

The IXL Blog November 24, 2014 at 9:22 am

Hi Tecna, thank you so much for sharing your feedback, and we will pass your suggestion about prizes along to our development team!

Anonymous January 20, 2015 at 9:24 am

Why does IXL take away points if I get an answer just one answer wrong, I am just trying to understand if there is a main reason or cause for it and why so many points when it gets towards the end. It angers kids and causes students to get more answers wrong because they are getting pissed off and doing the same thing that got the first wrong questing wrong, skipping steps.

The IXL Team January 20, 2015 at 12:16 pm

Hi there – Thank you for sharing your feedback, and we’re sorry that you feel frustrated! IXL’s SmartScore is intended to measure students’ true understanding of a topic, which is why the questions get harder as you progress through a skill and why more points are taken away when you answer a harder question incorrectly. The score drops in order to allow more time to practice and help them master the skill. We provide step-by-step explanations and examples with every incorrect answer to help students understand how to solve the problem correctly the next time.

RAWR February 3, 2015 at 5:58 pm

I’m a 6th grader, and while I find the calculus a little challenging, it needs harder stuff, college math? That would be useful, if ur in college then u could study

The IXL Team February 4, 2015 at 9:22 am

Hi there – thank you for your suggestion to add higher-level math content! We’ll be sure to let our development team know of your request.

zack February 16, 2015 at 7:30 am

While I don’t really like IXL, It does help quite a bit, at least for me who can teach myself by looking at an example. However, a lot of my friends can’t teach themselves and the examples in IXL are not really helpful. Is there some way you could give better explanations for the correct answer?

The IXL Team February 17, 2015 at 11:46 am

Hi Zack, we’re glad you find IXL helpful, and thank you for sharing your feedback about the explanations. We’re always working to improve IXL, so we’ll pass your suggestion along to the development team!

Sabreen March 10, 2015 at 1:50 am

Ixl Is helpful and at the same time an extremely horrible math tool. To take away 20 points when a student is 3 questions away from 100 is cruel and very depressing for a child.
What devil came up with this scoring system ???? You will most likely say the same canned answer but the scoring process is ridiculous !!!!

The IXL Team March 10, 2015 at 8:06 am

Hi Sabreen, we’re sorry you feel this way and will let our development know of your feedback. Some parents and teachers have reduced student frustration by setting lower SmartScore targets (like 70, 80, or 90) to start with, and then increasing the target as the student becomes more familiar with the material. If you’d like to read more about best ways to use SmartScore, you can read our blog post about it here: http://blog.ixl.com/2014/11/10/what-smartscore-goal-should-i-set-for-my-students/

Ayush May 19, 2015 at 5:01 pm

No offense, but I really think Ixl sucks! There are many reasons why ixl sucks. one reason is that if you get a problem right, they take you up by four and get ONE wrong, they take you back 10!!! Another reason is that it puts a lot of stress on students. The timer makes you feel like a bomb is gonna go off if you don’t answer the question. The way they could make it better is by making the questions less hard, take out the timer, and lastly UPDATE IT SO THAT HERE IS JUST A SPECIFIC NUMBER OF QUESTIONS AND THAT IF YOU GET ONE WRONG, IT DOSENT MATTER (KIND OF LIKE A TEST) SO THAT IN THE END IT WILL COME OUT LIKE A TEST RESULT “YOU GOT 96/100″.If you guys can’t fix this, then you should really take this terrible and manipulating site down. P.S My parents make me do ixl, not my teacher. And my parents expect me too do an exersize all the way to 100% (no matter what I say) and they will do no exeptions! Please fix it, or take it down!

The IXL Team May 20, 2015 at 9:12 am

Hi Ayush, we’re sorry you feel this way! You’re challenged with harder questions get harder as you approach a score of 100 in order to help you truly learn and master the skill. This way, you can always reach a score of 100, even if it takes you a few tries – unlike a traditional test where if you miss a few questions you’ll never reach 100%! If you feel the timer is distracting, there is a way to turn it off – simply have your parents go to Profile and Settings and check the box that says “Hide timer.” If reaching a SmartScore of 100 is too difficult, try working toward a score of 80 or 90 instead – you can visit this page for more information about SmartScore: http://blog.ixl.com/2014/11/10/what-smartscore-goal-should-i-set-for-my-students/

Helen July 8, 2015 at 2:21 pm

Hi IXL, i have a complaint to make about your said website: My children (ages 10,12, and 8) do IXL almost every day (my husband believes it is important for them) and at first they seem cheerful enough but then after a few wrong answers its tears for everyone, even my middle schooler is reduced to a weeping. Please either take IXL down or make some important changes to your site. I am speaking as a concerned parent. Thank you and please write me back as soon as possible.

The IXL Team July 8, 2015 at 2:50 pm

Hi Helen, thank you for sharing your thoughts with us – if you have other specific feedback, we’d love to hear it using our feedback form so that we can pass it along to our development team: https://www.ixl.com/feedback

We sometimes hear that reaching a SmartScore of 100 is a bit challenging for some students, and suggest they try and reach a goal of 70, 80, or 90 instead (all of which show a great understanding of the skill). For more information about setting SmartScore targets, please read this blog post: http://blog.ixl.com/2014/11/10/what-smartscore-goal-should-i-set-for-my-students/

Samuel August 7, 2015 at 9:37 am

I really wish your smartscore method wouldn’t punish kids so hard when they get problems wrong. This harsh drop in points greatly reduces self-esteem in people and strikes fear into the person knowing that if they miss one problem, they might have to do up to ten more. Please subtract less, probably no more than 4 points. Thank you for reading this.

The IXL Team August 10, 2015 at 1:36 pm

Hi Samuel – thank you for your feedback!

tan August 10, 2015 at 1:33 pm

ixl is very helpful

mel August 10, 2015 at 2:50 pm

IXL would you please make your site more kid friendly? whenever i get one wrong it shoves it in my face and i am reduced to tears almost ever time. my parent makes me do it almost every day and i feel stupid and useless.

The IXL Team August 12, 2015 at 9:16 am

Hi Mel, we’re sorry you feel this way and certainly never intend to make students feel bad about themselves. We believe challenges and struggle help students improve; that said, if reaching a SmartScore of 100 is too difficult, consider talking to your parents about setting a goal of 80 or 90 instead.

Ben August 11, 2015 at 5:26 pm

I really agree with samuel, please make sure the point is not too much because i have seen my daughter burst into tears when she got something wrong in the 90s. Thank you for your time!

The IXL Team August 12, 2015 at 9:13 am

Thank you for sharing your feedback, Ben, and we’re sorry your daughter has felt upset. One option we suggest to our users is to have their students aim for a score of 90 or 80 if getting to 100 is too difficult.

lasercorn August 16, 2015 at 9:36 am

Please do something about the smart score. My mom makes me “master” 5 skills a day. It always takes me forever to finish because getting one question wrong brings me down six points when i’d only get one point for getting the question right! Plus, my mom won’t let me hang with my friends or go out if i don’t finish ixl.

The IXL Team August 17, 2015 at 10:13 am

Hi there – thank you for your feedback! It’s definitely tough to get to a SmartScore of 100, but we feel that with practice, anyone can get there and truly feel they’ve earned that score! That said, if you are finding it too hard to reach 100, consider talking to your parents about setting a different SmartScore target, such as 90 or 80. More information about SmartScore is here: http://blog.ixl.com/2014/11/10/what-smartscore-goal-should-i-set-for-my-students/

Sohinki August 27, 2015 at 4:41 pm

MY MOM WONT LET ME TRY FOR 80 OR 90 >:((((((

The IXL Team August 28, 2015 at 8:19 am

Hi Sohinki, we understand that reaching 100 is challenging, but we also believe that every student can get there with hard work and practice!

Pi August 28, 2015 at 9:50 am

Ixl just makes me feel stupid and teaches me nothing useful it does not even follow the school sylaabus

The IXL Team August 31, 2015 at 11:56 am

Hi Pi, we’re sorry you feel this way! The great thing about IXL is that you can explore thousands of different topics at all different grade levels, so you can always find something that’s interesting or challenging.

Anonymous September 27, 2015 at 8:42 am

You are a terrible site and you are not doing anything about complaints. You have a computerized answer ready, but people who will listen, this site is crap.

The IXL Team September 28, 2015 at 11:25 am

Hi there, we’re sorry you feel that way. We welcome any and all feedback, and though we can’t accommodate every request, we always pass along your suggestions to our development team for consideration.

The IXL Hater October 4, 2015 at 12:24 pm

I agree

Anonymous September 29, 2015 at 5:06 am

Most of the requests are the same, and a couple of years since the first complaint is plenty of time to fix things. Stop being lazy and do something about it!

The IXL Hater October 4, 2015 at 12:23 pm

Why do you take away so many points?! I was on 99 multiple times and when I missed it, it sent me back to 90. When I’m on 90-95, when I get a problem wrong, it sends me back to 87! This makes everything very rage inducing and also more time consuming. I know it has something to do with “smart” score, but it makes people rage over IXL and hate it.

The IXL Team October 5, 2015 at 12:47 pm

Hi there, we’re sorry you’re feeling frustrated with the SmartScore. In order to reach a SmartScore of 100, you have to consistently answer questions correctly. This is to make sure you’ve truly mastered a skill and that once you reach 100, you really know the material.

Bhille October 5, 2015 at 6:45 pm

I have mixed feelings about IXL. What I like are the example problems shown before you choose a level, and the straightforwardness of the problems (although they seem ridiculously unrealistic, as I can’t imagine who would need 51 cakes. Gosh.) But let’s get to what I dislike: First off, it makes absolutely no sense to me as to why in the beginning of a level, relatively large point values, such as 10, are rewarded, and maybe 3 are deducted when the answer is wrong. Then the numbers flip around for the later part of the level. If the problem is more challenging, shouldn’t more points be rewarded!? Lastly, I despise that for some levels, you can finish in about 12 questions, but in others it takes at least 20. (I no longer am attempting to burn the computer, but that does not say much.)

The IXL Team October 6, 2015 at 11:07 am

Hi there, thank you for your feedback! Every student learns at a different pace, so the SmartScore doesn’t penalize you heavily for missed questions early in your practice sessions. Then, once you begin to understand the skill and consistently submit correct answers, the SmartScore goes up and IXL presents more challenging problems. In order to reach a SmartScore of 100, you must answer a certain number of questions correctly and consistently, including the most difficult problems within that skill. This is to ensure that you truly understand the material (and aren’t just guessing correctly!). So once you reach 100, you’ll know you’ve mastered the skill. Some skills are more complex than others, which is why the minimum number of questions you need to answer varies.

Bhille October 6, 2015 at 4:19 pm

Thank you for acknowledging that.

Seph October 7, 2015 at 10:21 am

Boohoo if it takes away points. more practice makes perfect, and at least you learn something.

The IXL Hater October 8, 2015 at 5:12 am

I don’t learn anything. It just makes you frustrated. It’s also time consuming and a waste of time.

IXL Hater 2.0 October 8, 2015 at 5:11 am

IXL freaking sux u shoud not question our language skills

Anonymous 2 October 17, 2015 at 12:40 pm

I know some people are driven to hate math using this site because they are frustrated by the decreasing smartscore. Also the practice that feels like play slogan is really pointless. you could improve by adding some real games and not questions that seem cold and unwelcoming.

The IXL Team October 19, 2015 at 11:17 am

Hi there, thanks for your feedback! We’re sorry you’re feeling frustrated with the SmartScore—it’s designed so that no matter how many questions you answer incorrectly, it’s always possible to increase your score to 100. We’ve also heard from many students who find the interactive questions and challenges on IXL as fun as playing a game, but we understand that not everyone likes the same things and will pass your suggestion along to our development team.

addi October 20, 2015 at 3:34 pm

I like ixl…. but i just dont like it when im at a smartscore of like 90 or 91, and then it bumps me back to like 78!!!!!! WHY???????!!!!!!

The IXL Team October 21, 2015 at 9:49 am

Hi Addi, once you reach a SmartScore of 90, you’ve entered the Challenge Zone! This is where you’ll encounter some of the most difficult problems within a skill, so you can really show you’ve mastered the material. In order to reach 100, you have to answer a certain number of questions correctly and consistently. We know this can sometimes be a challenge (hence the name!), but with hard work, we’re confident you can get to 100.

Susan Berlin November 2, 2015 at 6:28 am

My twin 6th grade girls were assigned 5 IXL assignements this weekend. One of them spent approx. 5 hours!! trying to complete these to get a 100% on each. She completed 2 though she worked all of them. Her sister completed 3, spending at least 4 hours. IXL turned my girls’ weekend into a literal nightmare of crying and gnashing of teeth. I get it that you want them to demonstrate understanding by “getting 100%” but if their homework can’t be considered complete unless they manage to eke out 5 100%s in a weekend, something is seriously wrong. Homework isn’t supposed to torture kids for things they don’t fully understand. It’s supposed to be a best-efforts thing where you study, do your work, turn it in (even if online) and you are done with it – regardless of your grade. I have never felt as negatively about anything my girls have ever been assigned in school as I do about IXL and I will be sure to let their teacher know as well as the principal and anyone else I can tell. You gotta introduce a “You’re at the end for now” of an assignment whether the kids have gotten 100% or not. Spending approx. 5 (very unhappy, tear-ridden) hours on math homework over a weekend is not in any way reasonable.

The IXL Team November 2, 2015 at 1:20 pm

Hi Susan, thank you for your feedback, and we’re sorry that you and your girls are feeling frustrated. We often recommend that teachers set SmartScore goals of 80 or 90 or assign practice for a certain amount of time. You can read more about our recommendations for SmartScore goals here: http://blog.ixl.com/2014/11/10/what-smartscore-goal-should-i-set-for-my-students/ We’ll also share your suggestion with our development team.

Caleb Wangsat November 3, 2015 at 6:01 pm

IXL is not fun. You take more than 1 hour on one skill and the scoring system is horrible. I understand you “want us to practice” but what if you accidentally type why’ instead of why. You make one grammatical error and you lose 10 points. And what exactly is fun about this. My kid practices over 10 hours. What does he get for his reward. A picture of a spoon. Great. And the interface isn’t fun either. MY child is just staring at the computer, clicking up, down, and enter. Maybe you should have something entertaining than just some boring questions. And please don’t tell me “We’re sorry you’re feeling frustrated with the SmartScore—it’s designed so that no matter how many questions you answer incorrectly, it’s always possible to increase your score to 100.” What about a typo. Please tell me how this will be fixed
-Caleb

The IXL Team November 4, 2015 at 10:53 am

Hi Caleb, thanks for your feedback! We do account for some typos when answers are submitted, but we’ll let our development team know about your experience. We’re sorry you feel the skills aren’t entertaining. We have heard from a number of users who think they’re fun, but we understand that everyone has different preferences. We also do include a number of different interaction types, such as graphing and drag and drop, to keep practice sessions varied!

LOLMAN November 5, 2015 at 3:55 pm

Plus ONE spelling error and BAM.You just lost like 10 points.And the worst part is all of this so called “learning” earns you a tent or something utterly useless that gives you NO purposes.Just stop, I mean seriously dudes.

The IXL Team November 5, 2015 at 5:01 pm

Hi there, we’re sorry you feel that way. While we do account for some typos when accepting responses, we also encourage students to check their work before submitting their answers. Thanks for your feedback about awards—we recognize not everyone likes the same things though we know many students who enjoy completing their gameboards.

KJ November 11, 2015 at 9:14 am

Hello. I enjoy ixl, but there is ONE little thing that gets on my nerves most of the time. If you make a mistake, you’re done for. 9 points taken off for one question? I looked at what i did wrong…. It showed my answer compared to the correct answer. It was the SAME thing. (the lesson was Graph Coordination 6th Grade.) That absolutely ruined my day. Another thing that i noticed was the prizes, and my friend complained about this too. A sailboat for answering 500 questions? I loved the questions about the integers, but i believe that the Graph Point lesson, and the prizes are very disappointing. Otherwise, thank you for making this website. – KJ

The IXL Team November 11, 2015 at 11:03 am

Hi KJ, thank you for your feedback! If you believe you’ve found an error in a question, feel free to take a screenshot to send to our team at help@ixl.com, and they can take a closer look. We’ll also let our development team know that you’d be interested in different types of prizes.

KJ November 20, 2015 at 12:30 pm

Thank you SOO much for understanding! You guys are awesome.
-KJ

asd November 22, 2015 at 6:59 am

Ixl is kinda the bomb

Andrewbae344 November 29, 2015 at 5:43 am

I understand you lower our score to give us more practice, but i also kinda wish that our score stays the same when we get answers wrong.

The IXL Team November 30, 2015 at 11:49 am

Hi Andrew, thanks for your feedback on the scoring!

Sohan December 22, 2015 at 3:25 pm

guys do not be so hard on ixl they are just an ixl program when people get wrong on a test it degrades your grade. SO in the same way ixl is just doing that

Dragoon February 11, 2016 at 4:17 pm

I hate how when I get a problem wrong it takes me to far back and it gets to the point where I’m about to break the computer for something like this I really hope u remove that feature please.

The IXL Team February 12, 2016 at 12:05 pm

Hi there, sorry to hear you’re feeling frustrated and thank you for your feedback. Unlike percentage systems, where once you get a question wrong, you can never get to a 100, the SmartScore works so that even if you answer questions incorrectly, you can always achieve a 100 with enough practice. In order to reach a 100, you have to demonstrate mastery of the skill by consistently answering a certain number of questions correctly—that’s why the SmartScore decreases: to give you more time to practice and master the skill!

Cory Barnes February 12, 2016 at 1:27 pm

This would be the best app ever for learning math were it not for the points system. My kid is actually quite good at math. Thanks to the IXL point system, he won’t even look at it anymore.

The IXL Team February 16, 2016 at 10:49 am

Hi Cory, thanks for your feedback! For more information on our scoring system and how to set an appropriate SmartScore goal, read this blog post: http://blog.ixl.com/2014/11/10/what-smartscore-goal-should-i-set-for-my-students/

hi March 21, 2016 at 3:21 pm

You always say we lower your score so you get more practice but honestly it makes people feel bad when they have almost mastered something and then they get whisked down to a lower score. IXL will be so much more fun if the smart score wasn’t lowered drastically when in the 90′s because now when I go on IXL I feel very angry about my learning which I recall, this website is supposed to make you happy about it.

The IXL Team March 22, 2016 at 10:23 am

Hi there, thanks for your feedback and sorry you’re feeling frustrated. We hope students consider extra practice as an opportunity to grow and develop mastery of a subject. You should also keep in mind that a 90 is a really good SmartScore and feel proud of your accomplishment.

Terrence March 27, 2016 at 11:08 pm

I dont get why u take out so many points and that makes me fustrated once my brother even cried because of it. thats why i prefer khan academy or tenmarks

The IXL Team March 28, 2016 at 11:08 am

Hi Terrence, thanks for taking the time to write us and sorry you and your brother have been feeling frustrated. The SmartScore doesn’t decrease much early in a practice session because we want to give you time to familiarize yourself with the material. Then, once you’ve proved that you understand the concept, you’ll see more difficult and complex problems. In order to reach 100, you must consistently answer a certain number of questions correctly, including some of the most difficult problems in the skill. It’s not easy, but when you reach 100, that means you have truly mastered the material.

flandre scarlet April 3, 2016 at 6:35 am

i hate ixl as much as the next person, the “smart”score makes me cringe and pisses me off. u guys should add games and remove the smartscore and make the timer really important.and do better rewards

The IXL Team April 4, 2016 at 11:02 am

Hi there, thanks for your feedback on IXL. The SmartScore is intended to make learning a dynamic practice, rather than a static one. Unlike percentage-based grading, with the SmartScore no matter how many questions you answer incorrectly, it’s always possible to reach 100. We hope students will take advantage of this opportunity to grow and improve.

GPG May 17, 2016 at 11:15 am

you really think that it helps kids learn??? it just makes kids hate math even more. i would understand if you lost 1 point but NOOOOO it puts you from 99 to 81. please make it less annoying . thank you.

The IXL Team May 17, 2016 at 4:14 pm

Hi there, we’re sorry you’re feeling frustrated with the SmartScore. When the score decreases, it gives you more time to learn and practice the material so that you can truly master it. The Challenge Zone is a challenge, and in order to complete it, you have to consistently answer a certain number of questions correctly. We hope that in the process students see mistakes as a chance to grow and solidify their mathematical understanding.

person July 13, 2016 at 4:40 pm

my mom wants me to finish grades one to eight for ixl in eight weeks. i did 5,000 Grade one questions in one week and i am still at grade one pls help ;-;

The IXL Team July 14, 2016 at 10:07 am

Hi there, we offer hundreds of skills in each grade, so it can take a while to complete all of the skills in an entire grade. We’d recommend talking with your mom about deciding on specific skills to master and then coming up with a plan of how many skills you’ll master each day or week.