IXL Insights – Take Advantage of Our iPad App

March 6, 2014

IXL Insights

We know you’re familiar with all we have to offer online at IXL.com, but did you know that IXL also has an iPad app? Anyone can practice 20 free questions per day, and full access is included with all IXL math memberships—so take advantage of it!

Whether students are graphing quadratic functions or mastering multi-step story problems, the IXL Math Practice app provides personalized learning that blurs the lines between practice and play. Students appreciate practicing wherever they choose, in a familiar mobile format. Plus, the app’s vivid visuals and interactive technology mean that mastering math is truly mesmerizing!

For learners of all levels, the app is a great way to encourage more independence. Students who do not yet have a full “grasp” of the mouse are able to practice intuitively, with the touch of a finger. As with IXL.com, our audio feature reads questions aloud to developing readers. Older and younger students alike are able to take learning into their own hands wherever they’re practicing with IXL’s question-specific explanations guiding them to concept mastery.

With over 2,000 K-12 skills, the IXL Math Practice app supports any math topic you’re teaching. And with seamless integration of data between our website and mobile app, you’ll see every step of your students’ progress. Download the app now by visiting the app store.

Tyler Kauffman March 7, 2014 at 5:57 pm

Is a Computer heavier than a Shovel Cause The problem said I got it wrong???????

The IXL Blog March 10, 2014 at 9:29 am

Hi, Tyler. We’ve passed your comment on to IXL’s technical support team. They will be in touch with you shortly.

michelle March 9, 2014 at 4:44 pm

what about an app supported on Android? We do not have apple products, but do have several devices with google play access. Thanks.

L1am335 March 10, 2014 at 8:44 am

iPad app? really? make a android app so I can use my tablet. (It is not $900)

Lanaya Stephens March 31, 2014 at 8:10 am

Yeah I have a tablet too no apple!

Detryaunahemphill April 3, 2014 at 11:41 am

Yep ixl is very very good and easy!!!

The IXL Blog March 10, 2014 at 9:19 am

Hi there! Our development team is currently hard at work on an Android app. We hope to release it in the next few months, so stay posted!

L1am335 March 10, 2014 at 9:31 am

Why did you start with a Apple app first? The market is owned by Android.

The IXL Blog March 10, 2014 at 1:43 pm

We started with the iPad app because more people use IXL on iPads than on Android tablets. Our Android users are important to us too, which is why we’re working as hard as we can on getting the Android app ready!

Lanaya Stephens March 31, 2014 at 8:13 am

Please work as fast as possible, I have been waiting a long time

Ron April 28, 2014 at 5:40 pm

Hi IXL,
Please note that few people will use your website on Android because the experience is less than desirable. Please I encourage you to run a side by side test using a kindle and an iPad with your site. Frankly the way your site works on Android is awful, with very small text and constant re-sizing to make it work. As a father with two kids who use IXL all the time they use the iPad app even though they both own kindles. I know that you tried to base your market analysis on data but the data was probably skewed. As any Android App can be installed via an APK (doesn’t have to be in the Amazon or Google Store) I am offering my services to test your application in BETA! Let me know. My user name is “Hassanwalia”.

The IXL Blog April 29, 2014 at 10:10 am

Hi, Ron. We really appreciate your interest in helping us launch our Android app. Unfortunately, we do not have a public beta stage phase. We are on track to releasing the app in the next couple months, and you can sign up here to be emailed as soon as it’s available!

Beth March 13, 2014 at 5:38 pm

The app looks great. Are there going to be hidden charges or can my children answer away without cost?

The IXL Blog March 13, 2014 at 9:03 pm

Hi, Beth. Anyone is welcome to practice 20 free questions per day on the IXL Math iPad app!

Linda March 15, 2014 at 1:33 am

Our students have been successful in using the IXL math app. Are there plans to include a Language Arts app?

Is there an option for teachers to set the maximum number of problems a student can practice on an objective? There are students who are spending over an hour or answering 100 plus questions one specific skill. It would be helpful if the students were stopped after a certain number of problems when they are experiencing difficulties.

Thank you for your assistance.

The IXL Blog March 16, 2014 at 11:32 am

Hi, Linda. That’s fantastic! We’re so glad to hear that the IXL app has made a difference for your students.

We do hope to add language arts to the IXL app in the future. In the the meantime, you can practice language arts by visiting IXL.com with a web browser (like Safari) on any device, including the iPad.

Many teachers do assign a certain number of questions, rather than asking students to reach a specific SmartScore. You can always use IXL’s reporting suite to confirm that your students did the number of questions assigned. However, we do not have a feature that will automatically stop students after a certain number of questions. We will certainly pass your idea for that along to our development team.

We are always working to improve IXL, so we really appreciate you taking the time to tell us your thoughts!

Cathy March 15, 2014 at 3:39 pm

are you going to be updating your puzzle prize board. After the first year my students find it dull. It would be nice if it was a little more active. And had a few sounds. It’s the same year after year.

The IXL Blog March 16, 2014 at 11:14 am

Hi, Cathy. We do have a different game board for every level, which is one way we make it more exciting. For example, 4th grade is a winter wonderland, and sixth grade features the great outdoors! We certainly appreciate you taking the time to tell us your thoughts, and we will pass your ideas for improvement along to our development team.

Lanaya Stephens March 31, 2014 at 8:16 am

Cool I would also like sound .please

Ms. Fullerton March 31, 2014 at 4:28 pm

I noticed recently that a few of the skills are accessible on the computer/laptop, which are not open to students who are working on their iPad and using the app.

For example, for Grade 2: R.5 (Create line plots) and R.7 (Create pictographs). Do I need to upgrade the app or do I just have the students do those particular skills on the computer/iPad?

If anyone knows, I would appreciate any advice or a point in the right direction! =)

Thank You!

The IXL Blog April 1, 2014 at 7:12 am

Hi, Ms. Fullerton. We are working hard to transition all IXL skills to the mobile app. Meanwhile, your students would need to do those particular skills on the computer. Thanks for reaching out and please let us know if you have any further questions!

June April 2, 2014 at 9:44 am

We have android tablets so hope the ixl app is available very soon. Looking forward to it.

The IXL Blog April 2, 2014 at 10:08 am

Hi, June. We are still on track to release the Android app in the next few months. In the meantime you can use IXL with an Android device by visiting IXL.com with a web browser. If you would like to be notified when the app is ready, you can sign up on our coming soon page.

Holly Dysart April 4, 2014 at 9:40 am

My students are using IXL on the computers and on iPads. Today one of my students keeps getting a connection error message when she tries to log on to the iPad app. The wifi connection is fine and works for all other apps and on Safari, she has tried completely closing the app and reopening, shutting down the iPad, and even deleting the app completely and re-ownloading from the app store. Can you shed some light on this? Thanks!

The IXL Blog April 5, 2014 at 1:06 pm

Hi, Holly. We’re sorry to hear that you’re having this issue. We were experiencing an issue with the iPad app that affected some IXL members, however the problem should have been resolved. If you are still experiencing this problem, our tech support will reach out to you when our offices open first thing Monday morning. We apologize for any inconvenience!

Adriana tait April 20, 2014 at 12:30 pm

Hi there I also keep getting the connection error message when my children try to open the app. please help! they are really motivated to learn and have got into the habit of a little a day, but they much prefer the app to the website.

The IXL Blog April 21, 2014 at 12:20 pm

Hi, Andriana. We’ve passed this on to tech support, and someone from IXL will contact you shortly to help you resolve this issue!

pierce April 28, 2014 at 6:41 am

Any plans to introduce an app that works on the iphone/ipad touch? or earlier generation ipads? much cheaper for families to manage on tight education budgets….

The IXL Blog April 28, 2014 at 5:07 pm

Hi, Pierce. Our IXL Math app is accessible on any iPad from generation 2 onwards with iOS 7. Unfortunately, the oldest iPad cannot upgrade to iOS 7 and isn’t supported by the newest version of our app. Currently, we are also focusing on releasing an Android app, but we will pass along your suggestions for an iPhone app to the development team. Thanks for reaching out to us!

Kieran May 7, 2014 at 1:51 am

Hi there, is the connection error an ongoing issue as I am hearing reports that it is happening more often than not

The IXL Blog May 7, 2014 at 9:24 am

Hi, Kieran. There are no known connectivity errors at this time. If you are experiencing technical issues, please reach out to help@ixl.com and our technical support team would be happy to help!

Holly Dysart July 3, 2014 at 7:27 pm

Is there a future possibility to access the reports section from a mobile device? As a teacher who uses an iPad for everything it is frustrating to not be able to quickly access my students’ reports. Either adding this function to the app or changing the website so it isn’t flash-based would be great! Thanks!

The IXL Blog July 15, 2014 at 9:15 am

Hi, Holly. That’s a great suggestion! We will definitely pass your comments along to the development team. You can also submit your feedback to them directly at http://www.ixl.com/feedback. Thanks for reaching out to us!

Sara October 15, 2014 at 2:49 am

Am I doing something wrong or can the ipad app only be used when connected to wi-fi.

The IXL Blog October 15, 2014 at 11:20 am

Hi Sara, yes, your iPad will need to be connected to WiFi or a cellular network in order to use the IXL app. If you’re still not able to use the app, send a note to help@ixl.com and we can sort it out!

Mrs. Krajicek November 6, 2014 at 9:43 am

are the Algebra I and Algebra II skills fuly available for the iPad app?

The IXL Blog November 6, 2014 at 9:51 am

Hi Mrs. Krajicek – Yes, all of our math skills and grade levels are available on the iPad app!

Tammy November 17, 2014 at 7:01 pm

Can we please have an iphone app it would Really Help!
And don’t say i should just work on ot on the browser on my phone cause that doesn’t work either. And there are a lot of people in my family so ipads and computers aren’t always available. It will sooo much!

The IXL Blog November 18, 2014 at 9:18 am

Hi Tammy, thank you so much for your suggestion! We will pass your request for an iPhone app on to our development team, and it’s something we may consider in the future.

Roy January 22, 2015 at 6:06 am

Hi, several of my classrooms keep getting a “Down For Maintenance” error on about 50% of their iPads yet the others are working fine. How do I fix this issue, we are very frustrated and annoyed that this is happening.

The IXL Team January 22, 2015 at 9:35 am

Hi Roy, we’re so sorry to hear you’re experiencing issues – the quickest way to get help is to contact our tech support team at (877) 282-4400 ext. 1!

Lake February 17, 2015 at 9:54 am

Hello!

Many people have an iPhone than an iPad. Will IXL make the IXL Math app available for iPhones?

The IXL Team February 17, 2015 at 11:48 am

Hi Lake – we are working on making IXL more accessible on iPhones, either with a mobile-optimized site or with an app. We don’t have a timeline on when this will be available but we’ll be sure to announce it to our users when it is! Thank you for sharing your feedback.

stephen March 26, 2015 at 2:57 am

getting connection errors when people try to access via iPads
Works fine on PCs

The IXL Team March 26, 2015 at 9:46 am

Hi Stephen, we’re sorry you’re experiencing connection issues! If you call (877) 282-4400 ext. 1, one of our tech support team members would be happy to help you figure out what’s going on.

Ngoc Ha March 26, 2015 at 10:59 am

Dear IXL
My daughter has used IXL app on my Ipad mini for a while, but since last week we could not open it, I have deleted the app and reinstalled but still had same problem. Please could you advise me how to fix this.
Thanks,
Ngoc
Ngoc

The IXL Team March 26, 2015 at 11:22 am

Hi Ngoc,

Please call us at (877) 282-4400 ext. 1, and we would be happy to help you figure out what’s going on!

Trish April 1, 2015 at 9:38 pm

I am having the same problem as Ngoc Ha.
My daughter has been using the I-pad app for the past 7 months. As of last week, when she taps on the app, it acts like it is going to open, but then goes right back to the app screen.
I have deleted the app and re-installed it. I have turned her I-pad off, then on again.
The IXL works on our other 2 devices…….
Please help!
Trish

The IXL Team April 2, 2015 at 8:43 am

Hi Tris, we’re sorry you’re experiencing issues! Please give us a call at (877) 282-4400 ext. 1 and our tech support team can assist you. Thanks!

Steph April 22, 2015 at 3:10 pm

Is there a way to turn down the sound on the iPad app for ixl?

The IXL Team April 22, 2015 at 4:10 pm

Hi Steph – There aren’t any volume controls at this time, though it’s something we’re considering for future versions of the app – at this time, we recommend changing your iPad volume. Thanks!

Allison Stone May 5, 2015 at 8:56 am

I would also love to be able to do a volume control. Muting the sound would be helpful in a classroom.

The IXL Team May 5, 2015 at 9:47 am

Thank you for your feedback Allison! A volume control for the app is something we’re looking into for a future version!

Carolyn May 7, 2015 at 9:40 am

Why am I not able to get IXL Math on my Iphone 4s?

The IXL Team May 7, 2015 at 11:14 am

Hi Carolyn, our iOS app currently works on tablets only. We are looking into developing a mobile site and/or iPhone app in the future!

Sarah May 28, 2015 at 6:24 am

I just want to reiterate the need for an iphone app. I would love to use ixl when I have to take the kids out of school for a medical appointment or waiting at a practice etc. these places usually don’t have wifi access- and neither does my car for road trips. Right now I’m home with my daughter before orthodontist just to use ixl on house wifi. If I had it on my iPhone we could go early to the appointment!

The IXL Team May 28, 2015 at 9:11 am

Hi Sarah, thank you for sharing your feedback! We are considering developing either a mobile-optimized site for phones, or a phone app in the future. We will be sure to pass your comments along to our development team!

John August 4, 2015 at 1:09 pm

I have a problem regarding a connection error. How do I make it go away?

The IXL Team August 5, 2015 at 4:55 pm

Hi John, please e-mail support@ixl.com with the details of what it happening and we should be able to help you.