IXL Insights – Extended Audio Feature

September 8, 2014

IXL Insights

You asked for it, and we’ve listened! IXL has expanded audio support to upper grade levels.

With this update, the green audio button previously available for pre-K, kindergarten, and first grade math skills is now offered for grades 2 through 5. To activate this audio feature, simply follow these five steps:

1) Sign into your IXL account.

2) Click on the welcome drop-down menu in the upper right-hand corner.

3) Select Profile and settings.

4) Under “Settings” check the box next to “Enable audio for upper grade levels.”

5) Press Submit.

Thanks to this new feature, you can now challenge your students in more advanced math skills, regardless of their reading level. All your students will enjoy greater independence during practice time and continue to build confidence along the way. Keep an ear out for the sound of excitement as your students practice their way to concept mastery!

Jamie September 29, 2014 at 3:43 pm

I like that.

Elsie October 14, 2014 at 2:44 am

awesome

Elsie October 14, 2014 at 2:44 am

I love ixl

Jennifer Hayes October 16, 2014 at 8:08 am

Is there an Audio Setting for the Language Arts?

The IXL Blog October 16, 2014 at 11:42 am

Hi Jennifer – we don’t have audio support for language arts at the moment, but it’s something we may consider in the future for certain skills.

Andrea Benge November 7, 2014 at 5:29 pm

I so wish the L.A. could have audio support. I have low low readers in my grade and the audio would allow them to work on the skill without needing someone to read the sentence to them. They can usually answer once it is read to them.

The IXL Blog November 10, 2014 at 9:39 am

Hi Andrea, thanks for your feedback! We’ll be sure to pass this request along to our development team. We’re always working on new content and features for ELA, and audio support for language arts is something we may consider in the future for certain skills.

De Austin February 14, 2017 at 12:28 pm

I totally agree with Andrea. I work with low readers and I work with ELLs, and hearing the words helps their comprehension of the task, and allows them to be more independent. Audio support is also good for increasing literacy, too, so please, here is it is 2017, and there is still NO audio support. Please add audio support for all grade levels.

The IXL Team February 15, 2017 at 10:17 am

Hi there–Thanks for taking the time to write to us. We currently offer audio support for pre-K, kindergarten, and first-grade ELA levels (as well as for math skills in the second- through fifth-grade levels) but we’ll let our development team know that you’d like to see additional audio features on IXL.

Karen Johnson October 27, 2014 at 6:14 pm

I followed the directions. But now that I am in the math app on the iPad I am not seeing the audio. Does it only work on the website…and not the app?

The IXL Blog October 28, 2014 at 3:24 pm

Hi Karen, audio should work on the iPad for grades 2-5 as long as you have the “Enable audio for upper grade levels” selected in your settings (you’ll have to log in to the IXL website to adjust these settings). If you’re still having trouble, shoot us an email at help@ixl.com and we’d be happy to work through it with you!

matt October 29, 2014 at 2:13 pm

nice thats nice for the little guys

Heleuilani February 4, 2015 at 11:14 am

This is GREAT! I too would like to see audio support available for LA. Mahalo!!!

Phil Owens February 5, 2015 at 3:33 am

Exactly what does the audio feature do? I don´t see the explanation for this.
I´m hoping that it explains how to do some of the more difficult problems.
If so, I´m adding math component back right away. Please let me know.

The IXL Team February 5, 2015 at 11:12 am

Hi Phil! For math skills for lower grade levels (pre-K through 1st grade), there is a green speaker icon. Clicking it will read the question and multiple choice answers aloud, to help students who are still developing their reading skills. Audio support is also available for grades 2-5 and can be activated by following the steps in the above post.

Lindsey October 21, 2015 at 5:53 am

Why is the audio feature only extended to 5th grade? I need audio for 6th grade and beyond.

The IXL Team October 21, 2015 at 9:48 am

Hi Lindsey, thanks for your feedback! We’ll let our development team know that this is a feature you’re interested in.

Claudia November 29, 2015 at 8:50 am

is audio avail for any other topics? And yes, please let your development team know that dyslexic children are brilliant and require audio for all topics to work at and above their grade level. Being a leader in such an arena has got to be good right? Thanks

The IXL Team November 30, 2015 at 11:51 am

Hi Claudia, thanks for your feedback! Currently, audio support is only available for math in grades pre-K to 5, but we’ll let our development team know you’d like this feature for other topics and grades.

Amy August 30, 2016 at 9:51 am

When will audio be available for 6-8 grade? My special education students would greatly benefit from the audio.

The IXL Team August 30, 2016 at 10:57 am

Hi Amy, currently, we don’t have any plans to expand audio to grades 6–8, but we’ll let our development team know that this feature is important to you!

Jenny December 21, 2016 at 9:19 am

Any news on expanding the audio to grades 6-8??? I also am a special education / Resource teacher and would love this to be an option for my kids. It would help support them on the Smarter Balance State test as well since audio is available as an embedded designated support in Math on this test.

The IXL Team December 22, 2016 at 8:54 am

Hi Jenny–While we don’t have plans to expand our audio integration at the moment, we will certainly pass your feedback along to our development team!