Meet IXL Analytics: Classroom Data So Intuitive, It’s Fun!

Discover unexpected insights at every turn with nine new reports

November 3, 2015

In the Classroom

Teachers may have more access to classroom data now than ever, but research shows that most teachers feel the data tools they have today are inadequate, and that they are overwhelmed by the data they have available. But what if there was a tool that made data approachable, accessible, and even fun for every single teacher? Well, we’re happy to announce that today, that tool is here!

At IXL, we rethought the idea of what data in the classroom should look like and how it can transform teaching, and developed a product to match. The end result is IXL Analytics, which gives you real-time insights so you can discover new ways to help your students, uncover exact items types they’re stuck on, see what they’re practicing right this moment, and much more!

What is IXL Analytics?

IXL Analytics empowers you and your students to reach new heights in the classroom. In real-time, IXL Analytics’ nine reports can retrieve in a split second the specific questions your students are struggling with, identify areas for improvement, tell you your class’s progress toward state standards, and alert you to new milestones your classroom has achieved. With a combination of real-time and school-year data, you’re enabled to strategically coach students to their full potential. The reports include:

Why should I use IXL Analytics?

Because each of our nine reports is rooted in the daily instruction strategies that teachers like you actually use, IXL Analytics seamlessly supports your day-to-day teaching. Imagine, with one click, knowing an entire class’s progress towards learning a new skill or topic. Get a list of students grouped by specific trouble spots they’re facing. Engage your students in class by magically knowing which student to call on and when. From lab settings to 1-1 and flipped classrooms, rotational models to small group work—IXL Analytics provides real solutions and support for any classroom setup.

Even better, IXL Analytics is so intuitive, it makes classroom data fun! Through beautifully designed and easy-to-understand visualizations, you’ll watch classroom and student progress live and experience the excitement of seeing a milestone reached in real-time. You’ll love checking the reports again and again to find out how much your students have improved since the start of the school year.

How do I learn how to use the reports?

To use the reports, simply log in and click on the Analytics tab. You’ll be taken to your teacher dashboard, and from there, you can explore all of the reports! We designed IXL Analytics to be so easy to use that you can jump right in and start using them without any formal training.

That said, if you’d like to take a deep-dive into each of the reports and get specific ideas for how to use them with your students, sign up for one of our free webinars in November! We’ll also be sharing implementation ideas and tips here on the IXL Blog throughout the next month.

Have more questions about IXL Analytics? Leave them in the comments below!

Leisa Parent November 3, 2015 at 1:37 pm

You said there is a link to take us to old reports. Where is that link?
Leisa Parent

The IXL Team November 3, 2015 at 2:58 pm

Hi Leisa, you can find the link in the ‘Welcome’ box on the new Analytics dashboard. You can also bookmark this URL: https://www.ixl.com/reports/

Emily Smith November 4, 2015 at 9:14 pm

The new Analytics look great! I know you’re still working the kinks out, but please add these to your list:
1. Can you create a new form letter that I can automatically send to my roster explaining the new features to students and parents?
2. Other than going back to the old reports, where can I, my students, and their parents download a pdf report of their progress?
3. Will the old Reports interface always be available to me, even next year?
4. On the teacher view of the Score Grid, the column header pane is frozen so I can see the students’ names as I scroll down. Can you also freeze the row titles so I can see the skills as I pan across to other students?

The IXL Team November 5, 2015 at 10:35 am

Hi Emily, thanks for your feedback! We’ll make sure to share your suggestions about the form letter and Score Grid with our development team. We don’t have printing or downloadable reports available on Analytics now, but we’re planning to add this functionality in a future update. For now, you can still print the former reports page, which can be found at https://www.ixl.com/reports/. The former reports will be available for at least a year. However, we won’t be adding new functionality to them, and the upcoming science and social studies subjects will only be supported by Analytics.

Jaime Compton November 7, 2015 at 7:30 am

Hi there,

The new analytics are great. However, I have a couple of questions where I am confused. For this month, my child has a way different total than going to the old reports and clicking overview and I’m not sure why? Also, if I wanted to use the new analytics, is there ever a way to see how much time he has done with specific days or will I always have to go to old reports?

Currently his usage shows 1hr 32 minutes and when I got to the old reports overview it shows 1 hour 1 minute. I’m just so confused. Thanks for any clarification.

The IXL Team November 9, 2015 at 11:05 am

Hi Jaime, we are working on introducing more date range options in the near future, but in the meantime, you can still access the former reports page from the Welcome box on your Analytics dashboard or you can bookmark this URL: https://www.ixl.com/reports/

For the discrepancies between the former reports and Analytics, could you please contact tech support at help@ixl.com or call (877) 282-4400 ext. 1, and they’ll be able to help you figure out what’s going on. Thanks!

Barbara Lochmondy November 7, 2015 at 1:44 pm

How can I see just what my students have done today as opposed to cumulative totals. In addition to seeing their progress, I want to see how much they do each day.

The IXL Team November 9, 2015 at 11:06 am

Hi Barbara, we don’t currently have this feature, but we’re working to introduce more date range options in the near future! In the meantime, you can visit the former reports page here: https://www.ixl.com/reports/

Esmeralda November 12, 2015 at 2:21 pm

I love ixl.com.

Chris L May 17, 2017 at 9:57 am

Thanks IXL.
I correlated the data for our students this year and there is a definite correlation between students finishing skills on IXL and growing according to MAP assessments. Incredible graph. Love the data.

The IXL Team May 17, 2017 at 2:01 pm

Hi Chris–We’re happy to hear IXL has been so helpful for you and your students!